Game, Set, Match: Girls Tennis Rounds Up the Season

Kelly Bickett

The 2016-17 season of girls tennis has been going great. This year 30 girls hit the court for practice, doubling the numbers from last year; most of the new players are freshmen.

Senior captains Holly Tobias and Grace MacNeil are great role models for the younger girls trying to develop their game.

Freshman Katherine Monroy has proven to be a standout leader and role model herself. As the first seed singles player, Monroy sparked a competitive energy on the court.

She had a 19-set winning streak before losing 6-3 to Thacher’s first seed singles Libby Kern.

“Katherine has an amazing all-around game and is a great person to get pointers from,”

The singles players have shown competitiveness and determination on the court, working on technique and stamina.

Senior Nicole Belton went undefeated at third seed during an overall 13-5 win over St. Bonaventure.

The lady Owls also had a 14-4 win over Nordhoff, dominating both on the doubles and singles courts.

Tobias and freshman Kiki Tolles have been controlling the doubles court this season. They are the first seed doubles team and have been working quite well together.

While talking about Tobias and Tolles, MacNeil said, “Kiki is so consistent on the baseline and Holly can put it away on the net.”

Although most of the girls are young and inexperienced, Coaches Rob Cowel and Candance have done an outstanding job at developing the girls tennis game.

“Our coaches are the best. Rob really knows how to make us love the sport all while balancing it with a drive to play well and succeed. Candace, the assistant, has been a great help too,” MacNeil said.

The new freshmen are proof of a promising future in tennis. The Lady Owls hope to stand strong and make it to the CIF playoffs this fall.