Students Work Outside of School

Many students have taken on part-time jobs in addition to their homework and extracurricular activities.
Outside of school, students are baby-siting, mowing lawns, waitressing, stocking shelves, and engaging in other interesting moneymaking ventures.
Sophomore Aija Mayrock previously worked for the Granada Theatre’s online magazine.
Her job was to attend performing and visual art shows and review them for the magazine.
Aija immediately accepted the job when the Editor of the magazine presented the opportunity to her.
Aija accepted the job because she wanted as much writing experience as she could get.  Aija said of her job, “I loved it!”
Presently, Aija is doing an independent study in journalism, working with Ms. Tara Broucqsault and also writing an online blog for the Fourth Estate.
Allie Towbes is another employed Owl.  Allie works at her temple, B’nai Brith.
She started teaching second graders and disabled students for community service, but she is now paid for her work.
Allie said, “I love working with the kids. It is a good opportunity,” when asked why she got involved.
Other Laguna students that work for B’nai Brith include:  Justin Palmer, Olivia Berci, and Daniel Reisman.
Joey Eckert was offered a job by a family friend. He  does maintenance work at apartments in Isla Vista.
He has been doing this for three and a half years.
He likes his job, but says that sometimes it is hard to cope with work and all of his schoolwork and extracurricular activities.
When asked why he got a job, Joey said, “to help pay for my car.”