Staff Editorial: Spreading Our Wings

Laguna’s wings are expanding. They are growing as quickly as a 13-year-old boy hitting his growth spurt, and, for the most part, Laguna has avoided the growing pains (apart from some temporary edeyesores that have accompanied the construction of the Rugg Room, the world-class volleyball sandpit, the Furukawa Tennis Complex and the state-of-the-art parking plaza).
Over the past year, Laguna Blanca has raised its total enrollment by 15 percent, admissions applications by 45 percent and the ninth grade enrollment to 50 students; built four new tennis courts, three world-class sand volleyball courts and an eco-friendly parking plaza, which was awarded the 2014 Top Landscape & Hardscape by Santa Barbara Contractors Association; initiated a STEM Program, a Robotics Program, an Early Kindergarten Program and Lower School Summer Camp; and successfully appointed a new Head of School in Rob Hereford.
As members of the Laguna community, we can undoubtedly feel the new positive buzz in and around campus.
We can literally see Laguna’s expansion in the new athletic complex additions and the complete renovation to the Rugg Room.
We can certainly sense Laguna’s betterment in the inspirational energy emanating from our teachers.
Together, we, as a staff, want to thank the faculty, staff and administration for their tireless efforts in creating an invaluable elementary, middle school and high school experience that will pave the way for our successes in life.
Mathematics Department Chair Paul Chiment concisely and accurately sums up what the school is all about, saying, “Laguna Blanca School is a place where students love to learn, teachers love to teach, and parents are engaged as partners in the intellectual and personal development of their children.”
Laguna truly provides a top-notch academic, extracurricular and athletic adventure, effectively preparing us for whatever endeavors lie ahead, and, for that, we are tremendously grateful.