Students Host Club Fair

PHOTO: ANASTASIA ANTANOVA
PHOTO: ANASTASIA ANTANOVA

The  annual student-run club fair assembly took place on Sept. 29.
Club presidents created posters and setup informational booths to promote their clubs.
Students had the opportunity to speak with club presidents about the causes that the clubs serve and to sign-up to participate.
Invisible Children Club, established in 2010, is looking to tackle new projects with the start of this school year.
“We are collecting books for the school that we raised $13,000 for last year,” said club president Eva Davis.
Direct Relief Club and Cottage Kids Art Club are two newly formed clubs.
“The club fair went well. We got a ton of sign ups, so this year should be really fun,” said Allie Lafitte, co-president of the Direct Relief Club.
The Direct Relief Club aims to support the international organization in its mission to aid those affected by poverty and natural disasters both in the United States and abroad.
“I am very excited for the club to make its debut. It made me really happy to see so many people interested in signing up and helping out,” Allie continued.
The club’s  first fundraising project, the 100 Days Campaign, will support safe births in developing countries.Another new club, Cottage Kids Art Club will be creating art for the kids currently in Cottage Hospital.
Chloe Richman thought, “the club fair was really successful. Each club got a bunch of new members. It was great to see so many new and returning clubs, so there was a lot to choose from.”
Another returning club is Hands 4 Others, which is an organization whose mission is to bring clean water to villages in Africa.
Their current goal is to “help more than two million people in 500 villages around the world by 2015.”
The Table Tennis, or Ping-Pong Club headed by Eli Bittleston and Eddie Conk, made its debut this year.
Service for Soldiers Club, had a sign up at the fair. Service for Soldiers “creates a lasting bond between the soldiers overseas and the students of the Santa Barbara community,” said club president Kai Gamble.
The way we do that is by writing and sending letters, sending care packages, and raising money for them” says Kai of their club.
Outing Club, headed by science teacher Mr. Peter Angeloff, goes on hiking and camping excursions.
The Outing Club is the oldest club on campus. It dates back twenty years.
Portfolio, Laguna Blanca’s Student-Published Literary Magazine, has also returned for another year.
Heal the Ocean, directed by Vera Lopez and Elise Scheurmann, “focuses on wastewater infrastructure-sewers and septic systems- as well as ocean pollution.”
Their goal is to make the ocean safer as a habitat and as a place of recreation.
Invisible Children, arguably the most popular club due to the number of its members, aims to “end the use of children soldiers” and “restore LRA- affected communities in central Africa to peace and prosperity.”
The Laguna branch will help raise money to set up radio towers around central Africa to warn villages of when the LRA is near.
This year’s club fair also witnessed the return of Interact Club, led by Helena Davila, and Warhammer Club led by Alex Hawker.
Laguna encourages its students to start new clubs around an activity they enjoy or a cause they wish to support.  To start a new club, students are required to find a member of the faculty to advise their club and fill out a club form  that are located in Mr. Hodges office.
“I think the club fair was a great day and a lot of people were interested in getting active within the community,” said Kai Gamble.