Actor and Author John Morello Returns by Popular Demand

Students went to see comedian, actor and graphic novelist John Morello perform his one-man show, “Dirt,” at Laguna on Nov. 7 for the first time since 2010.
“I’m not going to preach, teach, or lecture,” said Morello at the top of his performance.
He performed the show at 7 p.m. for parents, many of whom said that their son or daughter came home and told them that they had to go.
One parent thanked Morello after the performance for opening a conversation between her and her son.
Morello, who was born in Detroit and raised in Boston, was a high school dropout before going on to receive a degree in Theatre Arts from Evangel University.
He has been touring with his show, “Dirt,” for over six years.
The play, which is a “one man show of characters,” is based around the experiences of several people in an unnamed town.
The first character we meet is Jason: “that kid that you’re never quite sure what class he’s in.”
It is with Jason that the audience travels to the town’s Youth Poetry Festival.
There, Morello becomes the 86-year-old teacher introducing the poets, and Sharon, one of the students who recites her poem, “Hello, I Can’t Believe You Like Left Me Here.”
The next poet, David “Pi” (who tells his story in a rehab group), recites his poem “Dirt”.
Another character introduces herself: “My name is Melissa, and I’m a ghost.”
Melissa is a victim of bullying and date rape and goes to school with Pi and Jason.
The final character in the show is known only as “Poppa,” Pi’s grandfather and a World War II veteran.
It is Poppa who delivers the message: “your life is very important to me.”
“I decided around 2001 to write a show that dealt with growing up, and, specifically, the characters I encountered and that shaped me.
None of them are carbon copies because I love my friends and wouldn’t do that them,” said Morello.
“I had never intended to make it for young people exclusively, nor did I plan on putting so much of my own testimony into the post show talk…It kind of happened that way, and some sad life events dictated it to happen.”
Morello draws his inspiration from the loved ones he’s lost: “Losing my brothers made me want to do things in memory of them… And in the end that is what is so beautiful about art and theater, is that we can in some ways be gods. We have the power to give people and ideas eternal life, if you will. We can resurrect them and make them speak and live on in us.”
Following his presentation, the audience rose to its feet and gave Morello a standing ovation. Many students were moved by the show: “He was really informative and engaging,” said senior Hannah Nagy.
“I liked how he was able to make a topic that was so intense tolerable and interesting to listen to,” said sophomore Dani Abrams.
Other students, however, disagreed.
“I thought he was really funny, until he started getting deep, then I was uncomfortable,” said a student who asked to remain anonymous.
The senior class saw Morello perform “Dirt” in 2010 when he first visited Laguna Blanca.
“I told you [this story] so that you could have compassion,” said Morello.
“I would like students to take away a feeling that they are connected. It is a feeling that can get us through so many of the situations and struggles mentioned in the show.
Drugs, Bullying, Depression…all those things can have a root in feeling disconnected and isolated.
All those things can be alleviated and helped when people feel as though they matter.
That their life matters. People need them and we all have the power to make a difference…. really my favorite part is the students.
I’m sure your teachers would say the same too. It’s not the paperwork, the job, the money, the prestige of academia or whatever…It connecting with young people at a time which is one of the most critical times in our lives.”