Visit and Interviews Result in New Head of School Appointment

On Nov. 12, the Board of Trustees announced that Mr. Rob Hereford will be Laguna Blanca’s new Head of School beginning July 1, 2014.
Over 150 candidates for the permanent Head position were screened over the summer with guidance from consultants, Carney Sandoe & Associates.
They presented 16 candidates for consideration by the Board Search Committee, who, after extensive interviews, narrowed the search down to two final candidates for the Head of School position: Robert S. Hereford and Randolph H. Watts, Jr.
However, during the final processes of the search, Mr. Watts accepted a position at another school.
Mr. Hereford, the remaining candidate, graduated from Vanderbilt University in 1989 with a B.A. in History and Philosophy.
He then went on to earn his M.A. in History at the University of Georgia in 1992.
After serving in several positions, which include History Instructor, Student Council Faculty Advisor, History Department Chair, Honor Council Faculty and Faculty Mentor at Episcopal High School in Bellaire, Texas, Mr. Hereford continued his studies at the Teachers College of Columbia University, earning M.A. in 2002 in Private School Leadership while also becoming a Klingenstein Fellow.
Following his time at Episcopal High School, he served as the Upper School Principal at Metairie Park Country Day School, in LA, from 2003-2006 and has served as Upper School Head at Forth Worth Country Day School in Forth Worth, TX since 2006.
Additionally, Mr. Hereford participated in the National Association of Independent Schools/E.E. Ford Fellowship for Aspiring Head program in 2004-2005 and the William Robertson Coe Fellowship program for history teachers at Stanford University in the summer of 1999.
On Oct. 31 and Nov. 1, Mr. Hereford and his wife, Amanda, met faculty, staff, students, parents, alumni and the Board of Trustees for the first time.
Mr. Hereford held a presentation open for parents and also met with a group of 10 Middle and Upper School students.
Lastly, Mr. Hereford had a meeting with the faculty and staff.
“The overwhelming feedback we received mirrored the Search Committee’s belief that, Rob is a ‘genuine’ school leader who believes in a collaborative leadership model. Words like ‘positive,’ ‘approachable’ and ‘articulate’ were used to describe him. His focus on students and his belief in building relationships across the community were highlights of the impression he made,” said Mr. Tom Pickett Chair of the Board of Trustees.
“I thought Mr. Hereford was very nice and seemed extremely approachable. I feel he [will] do a great job as Head because of his enthusiasm and excitement for learning,” senior Grace Woolf, the leader of the Student Search Committee, said.
“It’s important for students to have a say in hiring a new Head, because it gives us a chance to be engaged in the process, and it makes us feel part of the hiring decision.”
Mr. Hereford said, “I can’t imagine a school that could be a better fit for me, Amanda, and our boys.”