Boys Football Team on the Road to the Playoffs

Off to an undefeated start to the season, the Laguna Blanca football team is looking to send seniors off with a state title.

Up until Oct. 27, the football team had an undefeated start of the season as they strive for a league championship and a memorable season for graduating seniors.

“Playing College football is definitely a blessing, as I know that this is not the last time I am playing football,” said starting quarterback senior Spencer. “I am very honored to be playing for Laguna, and am excited to see what the future holds for me'”

Although the promise of college football for Spencer, and other players like fellow seniors Gabriel Lea and Cole Sharpton. “The team maintains the road to excellence,” junior Ethan Carrington said. “Ever since the hiring of Coach Escobar, he has made incredible changes to the program, hiring assistant coaches that love the game as much as we do. Coach Esco gets the team closer and closer everyday no matter conditioning or watching film,” Ethan said.

Even though it is only his third year in the program, two-way player Gabriel continues to make his name known through his breakaway touchdowns and interceptions. “Three years ago, we all started off barely knowing anything about football, not even knowing how to catch passes. We’ve all worked very hard for three years and that culmination of hard work has led to the success of this season,” Gabriel said. “Also, the addition of new freshmen and sophomores has helped us along the way.” Such additions have continued as the Owls keep winning, capping off an undefeated season, going 3-0 in league play.

A perceived grassroots movement has led to success — with thrilling victories for the Owls to pile on.

“It has to be beating Windward in overtime,” Gabriel said about his favorite overtime win. “It’s exciting to beat them in such a contested game with intensity on both sides of the ball.”

Sitting 8-0, the Owls have officially captured the Tri-Valley league title — a first during the post-COVID era.

Now entering the CIF Southern Section Playoffs, the Owls are looking to cap off an undefeated regular season with a state championship — a first for the team in the school’s history.

According to Mason Siegel, a junior wide receiver and defensive back, “Our hard work has led to a tremendous season – the hiring of more assistant coaches has led to greater development within our positional groups and taking the next step for this team.”