LBS Fantasy Football

Upper School faculty start Fantasy Football League, allowing teachers to bond beyond the classroom.

Teachers have started to share another passion beyond the classroom that might come as a surprise to some or already be everyday life for others: Fantasy Football. Teachers have come together in their own Fantasy Football league, a comeptetive endeavor to add some intrigue and anticipation to the current NFL season.
“It originated from a conversation between Mr. McGarry and myself. Some other teachers overheard, and the rest is fantasy history” said Upper School History instructor Kevin Guay, who is the league commissioner.
The LBS Fantasy Friends League is made up of nine Laguna faculty members ranging from human resources agents to the Dean of Students.
Guay has been playing fantasy football for the last 10 years. As commissioner, he was faced with the task of generating a punishment and prize for the league.
“I want to make a trophy the winner can keep in their office or classroom for the year,” said Guay. Ultimately Guay decided on no punishment, and a trophy for the winner. His goal is to add a level of competitiveness to the league for current and future members.
“Despite my obvious athletic physique, I never played sports in high school or college It’s as close as I can come to playing a sport” said Guay.
Some teachers, such as Charlie Aslesen, also explained the reason why they joined the LBS Fantasy Friends League. They, similarly to Guay, weren’t able to or didn’t have the time to play real and organized sports anymore. They saw Fantasy Football as an alternative to actual sports and something that could bring the faculty body together.
Other faculty members said their reasons for joining the league was to have a way to communicate and have fun with eachother outside of Laguna Blanca.
“It’s fun and we should do more with our coworkers outside of work, and I’m all on board for stuff like that,” said Blake Dorfman, Dean of Students.
Some teachers also use Fantasy Football as an outlet to interact outside of school “We have stressful jobs sometimes, and having an outlet and a fun way to interact outside of school is really important for colleagues.”said Dorfman.
As a result of the LBS Fantasy Friends League’s late draft, injured superstars such as four time pro-bowler Nick Chubb went undrafted. In great contrast to their high draft position preceding the season. The late start also led to some interesting picks, such as the Rams’ fifth-round selection Puka Nacua going #2 overall to Chief Financial Officer Jeff Seaton’s team. Fantasy Football has always been something that brings people together and that has been visible in the Fantasy Friends League.