DIRTY POLITICIANS: an Evolving Social Epidemic?

For years there has been a trend that has run so rampant through the political world in the United States that it has evolved into a social epidemic.

When news breaks of a senator, governor, or presidential candidate being involved in scandals, we are no longer shocked.
Has this become expected? Are we jaded?

Scandals span from long-term adulterous relationships (sometimes resulting in a child) to involvement with “high class call girls,” to emailing, tweeting, or “sexting” explicit photos from someone other than their partner.
Aside from the fact that these things are morally wrong and have the power to devastate lives, there is another aspect that must be evaluated.

While it is true that “everyday people” commit similar acts, these people aren’t the ones responsible for running our country.

Events such as this past year’s revelation of the existence Arnold Schwarzenegger’s child who was born out of an extramarital affair between the former California governor and his housekeeper not only sent the media into a tizzy, but also resulted in the end of his 25-year marriage to Maria Shriver.

In addition to this, if he had any plans of running for office again, his plans should be considered soiled.

While this is still a fresh new year, but it is easy to see that the same politician scandals have come around.

With presidential candidate Newt Gingrich’s infidelity being a topic brought up at several Republican debates, it raises a very interesting question: if these representatives cannot or choose not to stay loyal to their life partners, does that mean they are incapable of, or would elect to, act in ways that are not loyal to our country?

It’s a controversial question with various responses.

Some argue on the side of the aforementioned point of the connection between the loyalty to one’s spouse and their country.

Others say that there is no connection and that a politician’s personal life is completely separate from their work life.
I’ve come to the conclusion that for years there has been a trend that has run so rampant through the political world in the United States that it has evolved into a social epidemic.

Many people associate those who are unfaithful with adjectives such as “sleazy” or “scum-like.”
While I am not in support of infidelity in any way, there are public figures viewed as good or great people who have committed adultery.

In 1989, King’s close friend and fellow civil rights leader Ralph Abernathy wrote of Dr. King’s long-term infidelity that allegedly lasted until the very night before his assassination.

I don’t condone or support infidelity, but I also don’t fully agree with judging a politicians professional capability solely on a fact from their personal lives. For this reason I don’t agree with such issues being brought up in debates. People who run for office should consider their past and present choices and if caught in a sticky situation should tell the truth about what they’ve done in the off-chance that it will make them seem more “human” and relatable to the public.