Facing Injuries Head On

GRAPHIC: ZOE SERBIN

School takes a proactive approach to dealing with and preventing head injuries on student athletes.

Dealing with injuries is always a challenge for student athletes. Specifically when dealing with head trauma that can not only affect a students’ sports career, but also a students’ academic career.
As Laguna is an academics-first campus, preventing injuries during sports is a high priority.
“Protecting against concussions is something we take very seriously, we recently partnered with the company ImPACT,” said Athletics Director Mr. Mike Biermann.
ImPACT is a company that assists in evaluating and treating head injuries.
The program uses a computerized exam before beginning practice or a game and tracks different information about the brain.
When a player thinks that they may have a sustained a concussion, they retake the test in order to help better evaluate the situation.
Laguna takes athlete’s safety seriously and continues to make efforts to prevent such head injuries.
Participation in sports such as basketball, football, and lacrosse can be potentially ha

rmful; it is always a community affair when someone is injured.
Teachers are particularly understanding when a student misses classes due to an injury.
“I missed a month of school, but my teachers were really helpful and accommodating. They cut down my work load to the bare minimum and I got a tutor to help me catch up. It helped relieve a lot of the stress I would’ve had,” said junior Zoe Serbin, who suffered a concussion last winter.
Zoe is clearly not the only student athlete who appreciates the understanding of such pressures, “The school is really proactive when it comes to head injuries in its students. It allows me to feel safe and to concentrate on doing my best while playing football,” said junior Justin Palmer.

GRAPHIC: ZOE SERBIN