The Beach Boys

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 11.08.53 AMIt was an overall tie, 3-3, for the Laguna Blanca Boys Beach Volleyball team who played Dos Pueblos’ Junior Varsity team on October 1. Junior returning player Henry Farrell and freshman Charlie MacNeil pulled through in the second game to defeat the number two seed.Farrell said, “Charlie played like a beast. We had a slow start but our consistent tenacity lead to a swift victory in the second game.”

The duo’s win helped the Owls tie overall with the Chargers. Captain Chris Constantino said that he sees a ton of improvement in the team as a whole. The freshmen are getting great game experience against much bigger and better players from public high schools. The team loves their coach, Matt, who claims the boys have come a long way with serving and hitting certain shots, but the young team still needs a lot of work and are still learning how to play the game. The beach boys are currently at a 0-1-2 start, looking for a win in the future. They will see the sand again when they play San Marcos, Thursday the 15 at 4 pm at home.

The boys lost their last match against San Marcos High School, 1-4. Farrell and senior Chris Constantino won the only game in the match against the Royals in three close games. MacNeil said, “the San Marcos game was good. A lot of our new players got the chance to play for the first time. It was tough competition but we all still had a great time. The young players [and he] learned a lot about the sport and got a lot of experience from the season.”

“The win-loss column didn’t go our way but we improved by large margins throughout the season,” Farrell said.

Team captain Constantino, reflected on his last season with the team: “It was a good overall season. Though we had a losing record, I felt that there was a lot of improvement in a very young team. I think this program took some big steps in the right direction. This team will be really good in two or three years when the freshmen become juniors and seniors.”

With only losing one senior and having 11 returning players, the boys Sand Volleyball team is looking for a bright future.