Rugg Room Renovation: A Prototype for New Classrooms

ruggroomconstructAlong with the new additions to campus, one of the classrooms is undergoing a major redesign that will be a prototype for future classrooms.
The Rugg Room is currently being renovated by Zimmerman Construction  Inc..
But first, to solve a mystery, let’s answer a popular question: How did the Rugg Room get its name?
The room is named after Laguna’s longtime English teacher and headmaster J. Samuel Rugg, who began teaching at Laguna in 1951.
Now, why of all the rooms did the school decide to renovate the Rugg Room?
desk rugg“We have been talking about it for a long time, and it’s one of the largest and most widely used classrooms,” said upper school head Tyler Hodges. “When we were looking at rooms to remodel, it was a natural choice. And so the decision was made. It can show the parents and perspective donors what a modern-updated Laguna classroom looks like.”
Hodges explained that the school was thinking of moving away from the static, heavy, uncomfortable desk as research shows that we learn a lot better when we are comfortable.
For years, schools questioned making classrooms too comfortable with the fear students would fall asleep.
However, we now know that this is not the case. The updated room will be getting state of the art chairs made by Hon Smartlink Seating.
Not only will there be new types of desks, but the walls of the building also have a special layering made from the same material as whiteboards are.
“This will be a design-thinking classroom where the students can literally draw on the walls,” Hodges said.
Several teachers have expressed excitement for the new Rugg Room.
Librarian and English teacher Blake Dorfman thinks that the students are going to gravitate towards the new style the room offers, allowing for more collaborative work and less lecturing.
Academic services instructor and psychology teacher Meghan Roarty said the Rugg Room “will bring an element of excitement to the students to have something new and having new technology in there will create a positive atmosphere for students to become more engaged.”