Standardized Testing: Finding a Method to the Madness

Much of the stress inflicted upon high school students has originated from the idea that a near-perfect score on the SAT is a necessity in the college admissions process.
A problem arises when literal thinkers come to realize that the SAT focuses on testing student’s capacity for deductive reasoning and critical thinking.
However, not many individuals have risked exploring other options, such as the ACT.
College Counselor, Dr. Karl Revells, admits that high school students seem “reluctant” to steer away from the SAT.
But today, educators everywhere are noticing that students’ interest in the ACT has flourished.
Dr. Revells points out that “students are taking the initiative” in choosing the exam that best suits their personal problem-solving and test-taking skills.
As standardized tests have consumed a large portion of the college admissions process, students are investing more time into SAT and ACT preparatory courses.
For a long time, the SAT has been recognized as the more accessible and widely-accepted choice.
In recent years, the ACT has begun to measure up to the popularity of the SAT by creating their own set of PSAT equivalents, such as the EXPLORE for eighth- and ninth- grade students, and the PLAN for tenth-grade students.
Senior Allie Lafitte explains, “ the ACT is more straightforward than the SAT. It isn’t trying to trick you. [But,] it’s different for every person.”