Field Day Brings Out the Competitive Spirit

FP2Divided into pink, green, light blue and dark blue, the students flocked to the fields for a day of fun in the sun and friendly competition in the fourth annual Laguna Blanca Field Day.
The teams voted on team captains and names before the festivities kicked off with a four-team basketball tournament on the black top. The Killer Dolphins (Light Blue) stormed out to a commanding 2-0-0-0 lead over the other teams in what the spectators presumed to be a transient contest,
FP6“The Light Blue team was really strong, and they had three or four big-time players on their squad. I didn’t think they could be stopped,” said sophomore Mark Brown.
The Dolphins’ dominance gradually faded as the Flames (Pink) and the For Wyatt (Green) each put in a basket. Eventually, the defense stepped up and the Killer Dolphins and Team Caty (Dark Blue) stood atop the stagnant showdown with a pair of buckets apiece.
The teams all gathered around one court for a sudden death match up between the two teams.
After a plethora of missed put backs for the porpoises, Team Caty gained possession of the basketball and made it count—Phoebe Madsen nailed a three from well behind the 3-point arc to win the first event.
From the bleachers to the blacktop, the students hustled to the soccer field as word of Coach Lopes in the dunk tank reverberated through the loud speakers. The seniors were first to throw, followed by the juniors and the football team. After several unsuccessful attempts, the students grew tired of seeing a dry Coach Lopes and pushed the target with their hands.
The water events continued as the teams competed in a slip and slide relay right afterwards. Teacher Blake Dorfman (For Wyatt) and sophomore John Puzder (Team Caty) anchored the first race for their teams. Dorfman had a sizeable lead going into the last leg, but Puzder sprinted through the gauntlet of obstacles and hurdles in record time. Ultimately, Dorfman edged out the win. After the races ended, students took to the slip and slide for some races and relaxation before the water balloon toss and capture the flag.
It was a one-sided affair on the football field as freshman Joan Curran and the Dolphins utilized trick plays to defeat the competition in both events.
Despite a commanding lead over the competition, the games were far from over as the heavily weighted tug-of-war still remained. Before the teams took it to the ropes, they enjoyed a smorgasbord of pasta, salad, hot dogs, and hamburgers prepared by the parents and faculty.
“The food was absolutely delicious. The dogs were the bee’s knees,” said junior Jack Espy.
After some downtime and a much-needed meal, the squads took it to the kiddie pool for the final event. With a plunge into the water on the line for the loser, the teams pulled hard to get a victory. In the preliminary rounds, For Wyatt beat the Flames and the Killer Dolphins made quick work of Team Caty. With the championship on the line, the Dolphins and For Wyatt put everything they had into the apex of the events.
FP5Just as the majority of the crowd expected, the Dolphins overpowered For Wyatt and solidified first place by a landslide.
“Overall, Field Day was a blast,” said junior Parker Rusack. “It’s a great tradition we have, and I look forward to it annually. I can’t wait for next year.”

From the bleachers to the blacktop, the students hustled to the soccer field as word of Coach Lopes in the dunk tank reverberated through the loud speakers.
The seniors were first to throw, followed by the juniors and the football team.
After several unsuccessful attempts, the students grew tired of seeing a dry Coach Lopes and pushed the target with their hands.
The water events continued as the teams competed in a slip and slide relay right afterwards. Teacher Blake Dorfman (For Wyatt) and sophomore John Puzder (Team Caty) anchored the first race for their teams. Dorfman had a sizeable lead going into the last leg, but Puzder sprinted through the gauntlet of obstacles and hurdles in record time.
Ultimately, Dorfman edged out the win. After the races ended, students took to the slip and slide for some races and relaxation before the water balloon toss and capture the flag.
Despite a commanding lead over the competition, the games were far from over as the heavily weighted tug-of-war still remained.
Before the teams took it to the ropes, they enjoyed a smorgasbord of pasta, salad, hot dogs, and hamburgers prepared by the parents and faculty.
Just as the majority of the crowd expected, the Dolphins overpowered For Wyatt and solidified first place by a landslide.