Teachers Take Flight

Jodie Willard

Ms. Elliott Begins Her Fifth Novel

With four published novels already under her belt, history teacher Ms. Martha Elliott is getting ready to write her fifth.
Ms. Elliott is the 2014 recipient of the Vassar Alumni Time-Out Grant—an annual award funded by an anonymous Vassar alumna donor.
Her novel, “The Gospel According to M,” will be about, “an approximately 35-year-old woman who is a reporter for a national magazine called Vantage who gets an assignment she doesn’t want to do. The novel is about her journey,” Ms. Elliott said.
Before her coming to Laguna, Ms. Elliott held various jobs.
She worked as a producer and editor PBS television programs, such as “The Constitution: That Delicate Balance,” and “Ethics in America.”
She also held a teaching position at the Columbia Graduate School of Journalism.
“I really enjoy working with high school kids and challenging them and teaching them to write well,” said Ms. Elliott in response to what she enjoys most about teaching.
Ms. Elliott is also the coach of Laguna Blanca’s Mock Trial Team, “I’ve also really enjoyed doing mock trial even though sometimes it becomes challenging,” she said.
“Ms. Elliott has always been extremely helpful to me, whether it was with college applications, essays, or even things outside of school. I’ve gotten to know her pretty well, and she’s one of my favorite teachers (and people) ever; I can’t wait to read her novel,” said senior Lindsay Ligon.
It’s safe to say that Laguna will not be the same while she’s gone.

Ms. Anaya Relocates

She has graced Laguna with her art and talent for “13 lucky years,” as she recalls, and it has been “a pleasure and blessing” for her to do so.
“Being the shortest teacher on campus never stopped me from reaching higher.”
Upper and Middle School arts instructor and yearbook advisor Ms. Delphine Anaya will be leaving Laguna at the end of this year and moving to Los Angeles and joining her husband who just finished his MBA.
Ms. Anaya has formed many memories during her time at Laguna. “There were so many fun, crazy, and overwhelming experiences that confirm that nothing stays the same.”
“Ms. Anaya has enchanted the art department. She has created a love and vigor for art in her students and it is so sad to see her go. We will miss her so much,” said sophomore and aspiring artist Bea Tolan.
Beyond the scope of Laguna, Ms. Anaya marvels at the “alumni who are now artists,” among them interactive media major at University of Southern California, Zoe Serbin ‘13. “
“There are some people whose influence is so clear and distinct that you can tell how they changed you, and Ms. Anaya was one of those people for me and a lot of other students,” said Zoe. “She’s one of the most kind, selfless, intelligent, talented, and hilarious teachers I will ever have, and I am thankful for every interaction we’ve had both in and out of the classroom.”
Ms. Anaya is thankful for being able to share her time at this school with her colleagues. “I have great respect for my fellow teachers who really know their stuff: Dug Uyesaka as my office buddy and mentor and Mr. Chris Johnson believing in this diamond in the rough,” Ms. Anaya said.
Although she will be leaving Laguna to teach art at the Laurence School in Van Nuys, Ms. Anaya said that she “will miss this awesome vibrant community called Laguna.”

Ms. Crevi Pursues Nursing

The Latin phrase docendo discimus, to “learn by teaching,” adequately describes Ms. Allison Crevi’s experience at Laguna.
Though she will be leaving next year after two years of instructing Middle and Upper School Latin, Magistra Crevi will continue to utilize her “resilience and organizational skills,” both abilities she refined at Laguna.
Ms. Crevi plans to pursue a nursing career, something that requires many of the skills she used as a teacher. “I like working with people. I want something where I’m up walking around, and that’s why I’m thinking nursing”.
Ms. Crevi was first inspired to become a nurse after talking to her sister, who works in public health. “Hearing her talk about working at the hospital got me into the idea of nursing.”
Studying to be a nurse will not only enable Ms. Crevi to continue to work in an interactive setting, but it will also call upon her Latin abilities. “I will definitely be using Latin knowledge for anatomy class, which I’m excited to take,” she said.
For now, she is preparing to apply to nursing school, “hopefully at UCLA or NYU. I’m taking chemistry this summer at UCSB and I’ve been taking a statistics class at night.” Additionally, she will be volunteering at Cottage Hospital.
During her time at Laguna, Ms. Crevi enjoyed performing in the Middle School talent show with her eighth grade advisees. “We did a synchronized swimming performance. I had not performed an act on stage since fourth grade when I lip-synched to ‘I Saw The Sign’.”
Though Ms. Crevi is moving on, her bright personality and imaginative Latin lessons will leave a lasting impression. “Magistra Crevi is always upbeat and helpful,” said junior Morgan Gainey, who took Ms. Crevi’s Latin 1B class last year.

Mr. Tur Enrolls in Medical School

Mr. James Tur has been both a teacher and a friend to the students of Laguna Blanca for the last four years, which is why it is so hard to say goodbye to him as he leaves for medical school.
Mr. Tur has worked in Academic Services, taught AP Calculus BC, AP Physics C, Math 6, and chemistry.
When asked about leaving he said, “I am sad to be leaving such a wonderful community, but I am extremely excited to be starting the next chapter of my life.”
The next chapter of his life takes him to a medical school in New Jersey, “I am not entirely sure, but I want to practice in a field that combines the treatment of the body with the treatment of the mind,” he said.
“I want to work with the under-served, helping break down barriers to access of care.”
After helping so many students and creating strong bonds, he will be missed.
“Mr. Tur has been a big help over the last few years. He has kept me alive in school and not failing all my classes. I am ever indebted to him. I’m going to miss him next year,” sophomore Christian Fowler said.
Mr. Tur’s favorite memories are of things that took place on Field Day.
“Field Day is a great way to get to know the kids outside of the classroom.”
“Going in the dunk tank on Field Day and racing Travis Mañach” were two of his favorite memories.
After plenty of experience throughout his time at Laguna, Mr. Tur passes down advice to his successors.
“There is no advice for Ms. Pointer because she is the chemistry master. As for Academic Services, listen to the kids, they know what they need; be flexible; and work with Ms. Steeber.”