Jogathon Raises Spirits and Funds

Jogathon+Raises+Spirits+and+Funds+
HUDDLED FOR THE LAST TIME: Seniors gather in a group embrace prior to the start of their Jogathon.

Participants came together to exercise, socialize, and eat at the annual Jogathon on Oct. 14.
The entire school community was represented, with K-12 students, parents, faculty members, and administrators all in attendance.
After Headmaster Mr. Paul Slocombe said the opening remarks and the National Anthem was sung, the music started and the runners took off.
In contrast to last year’s foggy Jogathon, the sunny, mild weather provided perfect conditions for the runners.
The featured runners were the Laguna Lifers of 2012: Lauren Alef, Eva Davis, Patrick Gainey, Andrew McCaffery, and Jamie Rosenberg.
The event raised more funds than any other Jogathon hosted since the event was started in 1988. Thanks to generous donations from 30 sponsors and contributions from Laguna families, over $60,000 were raised. These funds will be directed towards the Athletic Department.
“Laguna Wear had a good evening, and the profit will contribute to school spirit. With last year’s profit, for example, the school purchased comfortable chairs which were much needed for the athletic department,” said parent, Pouran Etezadi.
According to participants, the event was not only a fundraising success, but also a great way to spend an afternoon: “I like how the whole school comes together, and we can talk to each other and socialize,” said junior Bella Taron.
When asked about her favorite part of the event, sophomore Mitsi Gamble replied, “Throwing water at people. When you’re walking and running, and you’re with your friends, it’s fun.”
Other favorite activities included the petting zoo, face painting, and the dunk tank. Mr. Hodges was dunked several times, as students tried their best to score and knock him into the water.
Mr. Chiment also played an important role in the event as the school mascot, Swoop. He ran around the track, bolstering school spirit.
In addition to jogging around the track, participants had the opportunity to check out the clubs informational booths on the sidelines.
Junior Karinna Carrillo, a member of the Cottage Kids Art Club, said, “It’s nice to get a running start [for Cottage Kids Art Club] and see a lot of support.”