Is Santa Barbara Losing its Flair?

Five years ago, downtown Santa Barbara’s State Street was abuzz with tourists, SB locals, shoppers, and day-trippers alike.

Local store fronts were stuffed with kitschy merchandise and Santa Barbara gradually developed a reputation for a unique boutique shopping experience.

When the economy crashed, store fronts began to darken, blinds were drawn, “For Lease” signs were posted, and gradually, the best of Santa Barbara’s down town began to fade.

Two months ago, locally owned Blue Bee issued a public statement thanking the public for a “wonderful ten years,” yet sadly announced that they too would be closing their doors and succumbing to the difficult economic times.

Following in their footsteps would be Santa Barbara’s This Little Piggy, downtown Indian restaurant The Taj, and local craft supply store Santa Barbara Scrapbooks.

With many local stores beginning to close up shop, is the city of Santa Barbara beginning to lose its unique flair?

Santa Barbara is well known for its locally owned shops, bookstores, bakeries and coffee shops, and without them it becomes just another vacation town: just another weekend getaway with an ocean view.

As the rent rates for Santa Barbara store fronts have begun to soar, smaller, locally owned shops have struggled to keep up with the ‘big league’ corporate stores.

Strolling down State Street, few shops of interest remain. Many small boutiques have been replaced by large department stores such as Marshalls and Old Navy. The stores that once housed Santa Barbara charm are now black and empty.

“I think one of the things that makes Santa Barbara such a great town is all of the cute little shops. By taking them away, we are losing that special sparkle,” said sophomore Monica Watson.

Although many local stores have now closed their doors, a new crop of high end boutiques and restaurant bistros are beginning to set up shop.

Blush in downtown Santa Barbara is quickly becoming a SB hotspot for local gourmet dining. Blue Eyed Girl on State Street is also earning its reputation for urban chic clothes.

As old Santa Barbara favorites begin to move on, others step in to take their space.

As Santa Barbara and State Street begin the turn over, there is no doubt they will remain a vacation destination not only with an ocean view, but with a unique shopping experience for both locals and tourists.