Looking Ahead to 2013

Why Resolutions Don’t Work

[column width=30% padding=5%]
We’ve all done it. Every year, as we watch the ball drop in honor of the New Year, we write up a list, which usually consists of the same things: lose 10 pounds, exercise more often, eat healthier, spend less, work more, and basically become a different person.
And every year, by the time we hit February, most of us—particularly those of us who began the year with the most energy and eagerness—return to our old habits and relinquish our resolutions.
Personally, I’ve found that I end up spending more time and energy creating a list of goals for the New Year than I do actually trying to execute my plan to become a different and better person. However, there’s a consistent trend that explains why New Year’s resolutions never work. For one, our deadlines stink. Frankly, because we never set any.
[/column]

[column width= 30% padding =5%]
We always get so worked up over how we will begin the process of supposedly becoming a better person when the clock strikes midnight on January 1, that we forget to plan our resolutions all the way through.
We bank on the promise of a fresh start, the hope of a new beginning, and we focus all of our energy on taking advantage of this “second chance.” But as history has proven, the most successful goals are the ones with deadlines, and resolutions are seriously lacking in this department.
I suppose we all assume, or hope, that we will continue our resolutions through the year, and at midnight simply start all over again.
But an entire year detailed in one sentence is hardly constructive and for one never know what I’m working towards. Rather than find my motivation by looking forward to an ultimate,

[/column]

[column width=30%]
concrete deadline, I find myself drawing energy from the excitement in the air on January 1.Once the adrenaline fades away, so do my so-called resolutions. Secondly, there’s no incentive to follow through. The only person checking up on my progress is… me.
Otherwise, I am not held accountable for any of my choices.
So if I decide to “take a break” or “try again later,” I can, and thus, another year flies by-resolutions incomplete.
I, like many, have the best intentions.
Who doesn’t want to jump at the opportunity to begin again with a clean slate?
But it’s easier said than done, and history can attest to that. We can only resolve to change our lifestyle if we commit to changing our ways and that starts with more than just a new year.

[/column]

Reflecting on 2012

One year, 12 months, 365 days. When everyone is so busy looking forward, making New Year’s resolutions, and making plans for the year, it can be easy to forget to look back, to take a moment to glance over your shoulder before the year ends for good.
It’s been an eventful year full of elections, celebrations, loss, and technological breakthroughs. The crazy whirlwind of events — both happy and sad — is overwhelming. We’ve narrowed down the pool to just a few. Here are our top events of 2012:

[column width=47.5% padding=5%]
The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee:
February 6 marked the sixtieth anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s ascension to the throne since 1952. Britain celebrated with four days full of gun salutes, horse derbies, and parades. Today, she remains the queen regnant of 16 sovereign states.

Whitney Houston Passed Away:
February 11, the world suffered the loss of a great pop icon whose influence transcended generations. Forty-eight-year-old Whitney Houston made the 2009 Guinness World Record as the most awarded female of all time. In her lifetime, Houston sold over 170 million albums, singles, and videos worldwide.

Facebook Goes Public:
May 18, Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg made the jump, and declared the media giant’s first day trading as a public company. Valued at more than $100 billion, it is set to be the largest tech IPO in US history, $16 billion.

[/column]

[column width=47.5%]
London Olympics:
July 27-August 12, London hosted the Olympic games for the third time. Among the more unusual sports in the games included: fencing, judo, archery and trampoline.

Conflict between Gaza and Israel Reignited:
In November, the long-standing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian group Hamas reignited after Israel launched air strikes against what it referred to as terrorist targets in Gaza. Since the initial air strikes, the conflict has only deepened, and there seems to be no end in sight between these two groups.

Presidential Election:
November 6, President Barack Obama was re-elected over Republican Senator Mitt Romney. The Democratic candidate came out on top with 332 electoral votes and 2.5 million more votes than Mitt Romney.

[/column]

What’s Your Resolution for the New Year?

• “I’d like to see as many live performances as I possibly can.” – Chloë Brown
  • “Go visit Spain.” – Ms. Pointer
  • “Not break a bone.” – Chris Costantino
  • “Hike Mount Everest.”– Daniel Moghtader
  • “I want to learn Italian.” – Rebecca Brooks
  • “I want to go skydiving!”– Ms. Bergstrom
  • “Learn how to ride a Vespa.” – Kimmy Crickette