The Isham Library and Nylen Academic Research Center Opening Soon

iPads, Macs, and a state-of-the-art coffee maker in the new Isham Library and Academic Research Center, are all part of the new ‘NOW’ Laguna.

Students gasped in awe upon returning to campus at the new iMac computers in the Kalfas Computer Lab.

“It’s really cool that we get to use this equipment at school and that we get the chance to work with new technology this year,” senior Clarissa Coburn said.

The most talked about addition to the school is the renovation of the Isham Library and Nylen Academic Research Center.

The library has been under construction since the beginning of the summer, and will finally re-open in the next couple of weeks.

“I’m looking forward to relaxing and doing homework in the new library,” junior Hughes Williamson said.

“The new library is an effort by the School to be on the cutting edge technology wise,” new coordinator of Isham Library and Academic Research Center Mr. Blake Dorfman ‘02 said.

The library’s new additions include: 12 new iMac Apple computers, 10 Kindles loaded with eBooks, two 60-inch flat screen TVs, a multi-drink coffee machine, and new furniture.

“I’m definitely looking forward to the free coffee maker and a place to relax,” senior Brian Miguel said.

In addition to being the new librarian, Mr. Dorfman, who has a Master’s Degree in Education and a teaching credential in English, will be a tutor for students who need help with any type of writing they have.

Another special feature of the new library is a donation from Mr. Richard Nathan, the Social Science Department Chair, of a rare book collection, starting with “An Essay on Human Understanding” by John Locke, published in Philadelphia in 1818.

“The idea of a library is really evolving,” Mr. Dorfman said. “The rate of book checkouts since the rise of technology has sharply declined. When I was at school here, up until my junior or senior year, if we had a paper due, we would check out hard copy books that we would use to quote and cite in our papers.”

According to Mr. Dorfman, since so many students use the Internet to find information now, only one-fifth of the books that were originally in the library are returning to the shelves.

“Thanks to Dr. Revells [college counselor], all of the books that were in the library are still on campus in the old locker rooms. He spent all summer moving books, so they are all in order, so if any student needs a book, I can still check it out to them.”

Some of the books in the library have not been checked out since the 1970s or 1980s, so those books will be kept in the old locker rooms.

“We told teachers to put a small colored dot sticker on any book that they have used in the past couple of years or that they foresee themselves using, and it will be brought back up to keep in the library.

So, we still have our whole book collection but the new library is going to be really cool,” Dorfman said.

“I’m really excited for a cool and quiet place to get school work done and I can’t wait for the new technology in the library,” junior Quentin Tedesco said.