Boys Varsity Tennis

Culminating their season with a 4-10 record, the boys’ tennis team had an all around successful season.
“We stepped up as a team,” said senior Alex Louden about the seasons turnout, “everyone had match time and was out there playing.”
Fresh from spring break, the boys kicked off their first game with a win against Carpinteria High. Showing they still had fight in them, the team dominated on court with a 13-5 win against the Warriors in the non-league match.         With sophomores Tristan Prinz and Ben Furukawa along with junior Benji Sorensen in the singles spots, the team went strong outpacing any plays by Carpinteria.
At ease off their win, the boys went up in another non-league match against the big Rio Mesa. When despite their best efforts and their 6-12 loss, the boys maintained an optimistic outlook on the continuing season. “Because our coach always presented a calm and collected persona, we never got too distraught,” commented junior Justin Palmer on the team moral.
The team then went on to hit against Santa Ynez High School. In the end, however, the game resulted in a 5-13 loss.
Up next against Cate, the game proved to be a tense affair. Cate, the #1 team in the league,  took control of doubles while Ben Furukawa took control of singles, beating Cate’s number two and three players. The team, however, could not match the level shown by Ben, and the game resulted in a 4-14 loss.
The Owls then went on through the season to play against Dunn twice. While both were losses, the first 6-12, the second proved to be tight matches coming down to a one win or loss and the story may have been different. In the end the score was 8-10.
Later, the tennis boys took on Thatcher at the end of the season in rescheduled matches due to rain. Both intense matches, the first resulted in a 9-9 tie, which lead to a game count. In games they lost 75-79, an extremely tight ending. The team ended the season on a high note, going again against Thatcher but winning 10-8.