Sophomore Steps Closer to Success

Aija Mayrock, who first grabbed  everyone’s attention by being the youngest person to win the 10-10-10 screen writing competition in the Santa Barbara International Film Festival,  has now established herself as a screen writing and filmmaking powerhouse in the Santa Barbara community.

“She has been seen as a promising student by many because of her fervent drive and passion for film,” said Ms. Trish McHale.

When asked about how he thought Aija represented Laguna, Mr. Hodges said “She’s poised, dedicated, and diligent. Her success is a tribute to her own hard work and passion. She is setting a great example for future writers and filmmakers both here at Laguna and out in the larger Santa Barbara community.”

Aija has set an example for students looking to join the Laguna community because of her ability to focus on her dream while being a full time student. Mr. Hodges said that she “embodies the well rounded student that can thrive at Laguna.”

Aija was recently featured in The Montecito Journal, (see photo) where they wrote about her success so far and what she is pursuing in her future.

When asked about what she wants to pursue, Aija said “I want to direct, write and act in films. I hope to make films that show social justice issues.”  In total she has written eight screenplays, five shorts,  and three full length scripts as well as directed three movies.

“Too many people see us just as an academic school, and while we do have great results in that capacity, I think it is also important for people to realize that we are also a school where students can explore and pursue an almost endless array of individual areas of interest,” said Mr. Hodges.