Boys Varsity Tennis

“It is hard to say how we will play against [Malibu]. I haven’t seen them play, but it looks like it will be a good match up for us. As for the season, our schedule is more challenging this year,” said Owls’ head tennis coach Trevor Thorpe preceding the boys’ first match.

The close home match turned out to be an upset for Laguna, resulting in a 8-10 loss.

Laguna then went on to be dominant on the court against Besant Hill and earned their first win of the season.

Number two doubles team freshman Martin Barnick and junior Benji Sorensen swept the opposing teams, winning all three of their sets.

The doubles team won its three sets 6-1, 6-2, and 6-1. In the end, the boys doubles won seven out of their nine  sets, helping them towards their first victory.

Of the nine singles sets, singles players senior Alex Greer, senior Alex Shirokow-Louden and sophomore Tristan Prinz lost only two sets, giving the boys an additional seven wins.

“I was very happy,” said Coach Thorpe, “It feels good to get the first win of the season after coming off of a disappointing loss.”

The players felt mutual elation. “It was good to get our first win and build our confidence. It was a good win for the whole team,” said Benji.

On Tuesday March 13th, however, the boys fell short to San Marcos 10-8.

During the non-league match, the team’s singles player faced a tough match up against Petar Jivkov, who won his three sets for the Royals.

It was not much different for doubles, where the Royals took another three sets.

The Owls’ singles players Louden, Alex, and Tristan won six of their nine matches in an attempt to fight back.

The game, however, ended in an 8-10 loss for the team.