Juniors Attend Global Leadership Conference

Juniors at GLC
Juniors at GLC

Juniors entered the Corwin Pavilion at UCSB cautious and guarded with applications in their hands.

Students dressed “smart casual,” handed in their applications, received work booklets,  and name tags.

“I am a positive person!” over 100 juniors shouted in unison in an opening “ice-breaker” activity at the Global Leadership Connection Conference on Feb. 9.

After being treated to doughnuts they listened to “Leadership is a Choice,” a presentation by Carole Harder, the Executive Director of GLC.

Ms. Harder talked about the importance of having a good attitude and self-esteem as valuable tools in achieving success.

For the majority of the day, students participated in leadership activities, such as greeting new people, team building,and preparing skits.

This is Laguna’s fourth year of participation in the conference, organized on campus by Ms. Trish McHale, journalism, public speaking, and community service advisor.

Seven high schools from Santa Barbara, Carpinteria, Lompoc, and Santa Ynez each nominate up to 20 juniors each year to participate.

Of the 20 juniors nominated from Laguna, 13 accepted and attended.

Before attending the conference juniors complete a lengthy application that simulates the one they will fill out for college.
The essay prompts are even copied from the Common Application.

Candidates also state their leadership positions in and outside of school.

In addition to Ms. Harder’s presentation, students heard a presentation by former Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Dennis Patrick.

Mr. Patrick’s son Austin ‘10 attended GLC the first year Laguna participated. He  won the top award, including a $1,000 scholarship and an all-expense paid trip to Washington D.C. in 2009.

He currently attends the United States Naval Academy and credits his experiences in the conference with helping him qualify for acceptance.

Senior Kai Gamble now follows in his footsteps after winning the same award and also being accepted this fall into the United States Naval Academy.

In addition to the top award which goes to one boy and one girl annually, the conference awards other scholarships as well as SAT and ACT tutoring packages.

To win scholarships, students must demonstrate exceptional leadership qualities.

Students complete a résumé and participate in a formal interview with local professionals. They are scored on their performance and the quality  their résumé.

Interviews will take place Feb. 26 at Santa Barbara City College. This process will help in preparation for their future college interviews.

Students found some activities more interesting than others.

Attendee Brendon Nylen was most interested in the speakers, Karinna Carrillo most enjoyed her opportunity to meet new people.

Although the entire process isn’t yet over, students generally agree that GLC has been a good experience.

“The conference was inspiring and really made me think about the importance of taking a leadership role. Being forced to meet people was awkward at first, but I think it really helped us become more confident and comfortable,” Clarissa Coburn said.