Reality Vs. Fantasy

On Consoles or courts, on a team or the couch, the controversy continues

In the past 10 years, video games have gone from simplistic time wasters such as Tetris and Centipede, to full blown interactive digital sports games.

“ The line between video games and sports is really beginning to blur,” said junior Bryana Schantz.

With the introduction of gaming consoles, like the Nintendo Wii and the XBox 360, gamers throughout the world are able to play their favorite sports within the comforts of their home.

This sudden shift in the world of gaming emphasizes the growing trend of technology and the way it can impact the future of sports.

Nintendo was surprised to hear in 2009, after the release of their first console, that the popular game had been in high demand in nursing homes and assisted living facilities.

Those with a passion for sports, but no longer the endurance, were able to play tennis, go bowling, even wrestle, without leaving the house or their seat.

Although always popular since its introduction, interactive gaming found its true niche with the introduction of motion sensors.

No longer were gamers restricted to buttons; now you could swing bats, throw balls, and swim laps simply by going through the motions, giving the gamer a sense of ‘playing the sport.’

It can be argued that digital and interactive gaming is the future for sports. It’s cheaper, safer, and one can play opponents all over the world with the touch of a button.

It’s true. Playing tennis in your living room against an opponent living in China is quite possible.

Yet ask any true athlete, and they’ll tell you playing a sport is not just about going through the motions of playing.

It’s the camaraderie of the team, the thrill of playing a game that cannot be transferred through a screen.

It’s true, fantasy gaming has it’s place. Thousands of gamers and athletes alike spend countless hours fiercely battling their opponent via TV screen.

Yet, it’s impossible to replicate the smell of a fresh soccer field, the pop of a spiked volleyball, the rush of adrenaline you get when playing a sport you love.

“When you’re younger, video gaming seems more important, but once you reach your teens, the interest in playingactual sports grows,” commented freshman Stephen McCaffery.

Yes, fantasy sports are here to stay. Gamers will continue to battle it out, and the industry of digital gaming will continue to grow.

Yet, true sports are also here to stay. After all, there’s a reason fantasy sports are called fantasy sports.