Spring Sports Preview

During the beginning of the spring sports season, athletes look forward to success and triumph through what will be a competitive environment across the board.

Danica Rux – Girls Beach Volleyball: 

How excited are you for the upcoming season?

I am very excited about this upcoming season and can’t wait to play with new people. 

How did you first get involved in beach volleyball?

I first got involved with beach volleyball during my freshman year, that was my first year playing beach and I have loved it ever since.

Can you share some of your training routines that have contributed to your success as a beach volleyball player?

A few things I do is just keep my arms in shape because they are used so much with hitting, serving, and setting as well as my legs because it takes so much momentum jumping in the sand. 

How will the underclassmen help the team throughout the year? 

It’s always great having new people play a sport especially beach volleyball because it is a fun sport that almost anyone can play. Having underclassmen join helps create a bigger and more diverse team full of different skills.

As a varsity player, what are your aspirations and goals in beach volleyball?

In beach volleyball, I always want to have fun as well as make sure I am the best teammate I can be knowing there are only two of us on a court at a time. The most important thing is to always be helpful and encouraging to your teammates. 

Mason Berg – Boys Tennis

How will the use of underclassmen affect the team’s performance this year?

I think that the underclassmen will be a very important part of the team. With only 2 upperclassmen as of right now, the weight is on them for whether we win games or not. 

How will the team benefit from a new assistant coach?

I think that the assistant coach will really help the new kids become acclimated to the team tennis environment. He will be able to hone the skills of the younger kids so that they can perform well in our matches. It also gives time for the main coach to work 1 on 1 with kids to really make sure their skills are solid.

Which do you prefer – singles or doubles?

I prefer to play singles. 

What are your goals for this season? 

My goals for the season are to go positive in league play and to just be a good and welcoming captain for the newcomers.

Liam Knezevic – Boys Volleyball

What are some spots on the floor you are going to have to fill with the loss of some impact seniors, especially underclassmen?

We are looking to fill Libero, a second middle hitter, and OH (opposite hitter). These are all very crucial spots on the court that can affect our success drastically. 

Being in a lower CIF division this year, what are your team’s expectations?

Same as always, we go in expecting good competition and we play our game. We strive to stay consistent with ourselves and maintain a high playing level, not dropping down to the opponents’ level.  

How important is team chemistry in accordance with your team’s success? 

Team chemistry lets everything flow well and has a high importance in volleyball. 

What is the team’s pregame hype song? 

The London is a classic for our team. 

I believe the use of underclassmen will positively affect the team. Having new players inspires us upperclassmen to teach them how to play while allowing us to develop into good role models. 

I believe Coach Tanner has a solid volleyball background and will guide us through this season – hopefully all the way to the CIF finals.

Brad Elliott