Super Bowl Recap

After the Super Bowl, athletes and statistics provide a reflective lens that creates an overview of one of the most memorable days on the athletic calendar in 2024.

February 11th, 2024. A storied sport, a game intertwined in the very fabric of the United States of America. The stage has been set for Super Bowl LVIII (58) between the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers, two storied franchises that originally faced off in 2020 for Super Bowl LIV. 

Led by the tandem of Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce, the Chiefs feature a high-powered offense that is operating as smoothly as ever. On the defensive side, with star defensive lineman Chris Jones and lockdown cornerback L’Jarius Sneed, the Chiefs have held some of the best offenses in the league to under 14 points per game in the playoffs, a mark that not only constitutes their top 5 defense in the league but is the 3rd lowest points per game allowed in the modern era for a playoff run. 

And on the other side of the ball, led by the young gunslinger Brock Purdy and reliable veteran running back Christian McCaffrey, the 49ers feature one of the most productive and efficient offenses in the league. And with Kyle Shanahan, one of the best offensive minds in the game at the helm, the 49ers’ passing and rushing attack lead the NFL in nearly all major statistical categories. 

And on the defensive side of the ball, led by the highest-paid edge Nick Bosa, one of the most respected linebacker duos in Dre Greenlaw and Fred Warner, and lockdown corner Charvarius Ward, the 49ers’ defense has continuously proven to be one of the most reliable and trustworthy units throughout the duration of the season, even with a season-ending injury to All-Pro safety Talanoa Hufanga.

A game that came to the end of the wire, Super Bowl 58 was an absolute thriller. The 49ers held a commanding lead in the first half, leading 10-3 at halftime with a trick play touchdown from Jauan Jennings to Christian McCaffrey. However, “Playoff Pat” and the Chiefs defense wasn’t done yet. 

Leading a 22 to 12 run in the second half, Patrick Mahomes was electric and Chris Jones, in conjunction with the Chiefs’ defensive backs, was a force to be reckoned with on the defensive side. 

Isaiah Pacheco:

When asked about Isaiah Pacheco, Sophomore runningback Carter Plowman believes that “Pacheco’s power and versatility, as well as his ability to not shy away from contact even as a smaller back, is what makes him crucial in the Chiefs passing and blocking game”.  Pachecos sets himself apart from most NFL players with his insane work ethic, stemming from his rough background. Pacheco has rushed for over 150 yards and 2 touchdowns in Super Bowls throughout his short 2-year career and has been crucial to both of the Chief’s most recent Super Bowl victories. Pacheco also being one of the lowest-paid runningbacks in the league sadly reinforces the narrative that NFL running backs don’t necessarily need to be paid as much as other positions, runningbacks on average are paid less than punters, long snappers, and fullbacks. For the years to come, Pacheco will be a strong force in the league and will definitely be a player to look out for. “This doesn’t mean paying more for a better running back is not a good idea for many teams.” Carter said.  His contract will end in 2025 and he will hopefully look to sign a multi-million dollar deal.

Patrick Mahomes:

Laguna Blanca Football quarterback and team captain Spencer Hlavaty has some varying opinions on the reigning Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes. “I think Mahomes is an elite quarterback due to his innate ability to hit any target, from anywhere, from any angle. I feel like we could be witnessing the next G.O.A.T., though he has been slightly overhyped in some scenarios”. Mahomes has made it to the AFC championship (the game before the Super Bowl) for 6 straight seasons, as well as having 3 Superbowl MVPs, and 2 regular season MVPs in his 6 years as a starter. It is undeniable that if he continues at this rate, we will be talking about him in the G.O.A.T. conversation. And with Mahomes’ Super Bowl performance, granting him his 3rd ring, many are drawing comparisons between him and some of the greats. Throwing for over 300 yards and 2 touchdowns, Mahomes was effective and efficient as the conversation regarding his play compared to the greats transpires.

Nick Bosa: 

Junior Carson Stewart spoke about star defensive lineman
for the 49ers Nick Bosa. “He’s such a powerful guy who can get after the quarter-
back and force quick decisions.” Franchise players such as Bosa have become increasingly more important in the past few years as contracts have sky-rocketed and “generational talents” have become harder and harder to keep on a team, especially in an era of supermax
contracts. These skills by Nick Bosa were shown throughout the
season as he was always a player that the offense had to look
out for. Over the last summer, he signed a huge contract
extension for a five-year deal for over $170 million. In Super Bowl 58, he had 12 pressures and was a dominant force even
though the 49ers fell short.“You can just tell he is loved by his teammates, he’s certainly a guy that contributes to team morale, Carson said. “He also strikes fear into opposing quarterbacks, despite any
statistics that may suggest otherwise.”