Anna Alldredge Named Head of Upper School

During her eight years at Laguna, Anna Alldredge’s roles include Middle School English instructor, Director of Teaching and Learning, Interim Head of Lower School and currently Head of Upper School.
Brad Elliott

Q: What new or different things are you hoping to bring to the Upper School? What is your vision for the future?

A: Our Upper School is thriving and so many great things are already happening here. We are always looking at ways to deepen and expand our programs for our students, and seek more student feedback on what’s working well and what we could improve.

As we look ahead together, student voices will be a guiding force behind ongoing improvements and iterations to our Upper School.

Q: How do you want to engage with the student body as the new Head of Upper School?

A: I’m loving the lunches I’m having with all of our Upper School students in small groups. It’s been great just getting a chance to hang out a bit and hear how the year is going.

The more I can listen and learn, the more I can work to make this place the very best it can be for all of our students.

Being in our students’ classrooms and cheering them on at athletic games and shows are the absolute highlights of my days at work. My office is always open, and I have candy… so swing by and chat whenever.

Q: What is the thing that you miss the most about teaching?

A: What I miss most about teaching, I try to still cultivate within my work as a division head. As a teacher, I absolutely loved connecting with students, building a classroom community, and then doing meaningful, challenging, and transformational work together.

My students were often my very best teachers. I find that as Head of Upper School, I get to be a part of that same great stuff, just on a larger, division-wide scale.

Q: What are some differences you are experiencing being Head of the Upper School rather than the Lower School head?

A: It’s similar work in many ways, but quite different in others. I’m overseeing the faculty, students, and program of a division, and partnering with our families to support a positive and meaningful experience for all.

A division head, in that way, is very much the steward of the School’s mission and people, and that is the same at any divisional level.

That being said, my entire career has been focused on working with teenagers in secondary schools, and my other seven years at Laguna have all been here at Hope Ranch campus.

In that way, this role does feel like a return “home” for me. I am grateful to have gained experience across all three divisions, because I’m always thinking about how we can connect our EK-12 students and learn from one another.

Our Lower School students and faculty are amazing, and it’s so special to know that those students will eventually be in my division yet again — just a few years down the road when they are closer to my height as 9th graders.

This fall, it’s been fabulous to be around the witty banter of high school students again. I missed y’all last year!

Q: Is there anything else you would like to add?

A: We are so lucky to work with the amazing students that we do. Please drop by anytime – my door’s always open. Come by and hang out anytime.

check out the extended version of this interview here