Why We Blog

Blog.

The word has become a general term enveloping all forms of visual media and is still growing with the rapid expansion of the World Wide Web.

I like to think of them as the “Seinfeld of the Internet”—seemingly random, but there’s something most everyday people can relate to in every one.

Blogs are a place where everyday people like you and I can write paragraphs upon paragraphs about really anything and hey, maybe we will get famous for doing so.

When the internet was just a small seedling of what it has become today, blogs as we know them did not exist. Now, however, they have broken all restrictive boundaries and are used for almost every subject and almost any form of media.

Art, photography, music, food,  children, cute things, sad things, funny things, things nobody cares about—you can bet there’s a blog about it. And not just one blog, but many. And probably a video blog, or vlog, about it too.
Why is it that these narratives written by every day people have recently become so popular?

Most of them offer nothing of substance, are poorly written, and will have little effect on you as you move forward in your life.

In fact, I’d say a good 97 percent of blogs on the Internet are about nothing and will never be read on a wide-spread basis.

That other three percent, however, hangs over us.

That other three percent is some strange form of connection to a greater society.

That other three percent is acknowledgement and confirmation from the outer world that your opinion is shared.

Most of the blogs I’ve read are written by people in their teens and twenties.

Of course, there are outliers, but the majority of popular blogs are written by younger people.

The Internet provides us with the platform to reach those who share similar interests. It also grants us the tempting mask of anonymity.

And even if you aren’t writing a blog but are just reading them, finding someone who shares your views and who is reaching millions of people can be very inspiring.

I think the reason behind why we blog is simple; we want to be heard, understood, and related to—even if it’s for something that lacks substance.

View Comments (2)
$50
$500