Athlete of the Issue

An award-winning athlete, scholar, and team captain, Spencer Hlavaty is the embodiment of what it means to be a scholar-athlete and the exemplification of excellence on and off the field.

Q: What goals does your team hope to achieve this season?

A: The team’s goal is obviously an undefeated record, league champions, and winning the CIF Championship in our division.

Q: Who has inspired you in being a better quarterback?

A: A true inspiration for me is definitely Coach Escobar, as he has always believed in me and my leadership to guide this team to a successful season.

Q: What are some things your team, as a whole, has improved upon this season?

A: As a whole, our team has taken our defense to another level. Almost every game, we have had numerous takeaways, which leads to more possessions and success for our offense as well.

Q: What are some individual goals you want to accomplish before the end of your senior season?

A: I have a goal to throw a touchdown to all of my receivers, which is so far going very well. A few individual goals for me would definitely be to join the First Team All League, and possibly even win the MVP of the Tri-Valley league.

Q: How has your family helped shape the Laguna program?

A: I would say my parents are very involved in the program, bringing a lot of new attributes to Laguna football and athletics as a whole including social media promotions and new graphical ideas that continue to promote our program.

Q: What does it mean to be committed to playing college football along with other senior teammates

going through the same process?

A: Playing college football is definitely a blessing, as I know that this is not the last time I am playing football, and I get to play with my best friend Gabriel Lea for one last year. I am very honored to be playing for Laguna, and am excited to see what the future holds for me.

Q: What teachers helped shaped you as a

student-athlete?

A: A few teachers who have help shaped me as a student-athlete would be Erik Faust, who I even workout with, as well as Katie Pointer and Staci Richard, who are always flexible during my time out of class. All these teachers make sure I get the right amount of

necessary academic assistance to succeed on and off

the field – the embodiment of a student-athlete.