Behind the Screen

Remote learning became a huge part of students’ lives in mid-March of 2020. With the new year, some students elected to go back to in-person learning, while others weren’t given the option and a few decided to stay online. These students share how they really feel, how their workloads differ, and how their classmates and teachers can help

Claire Tolles, Opinion Editor

Interview with Junior Harrison Jones

What is your favorite thing about being on zoom? What is your least favorite thing?

“My favorite thing about remote learning is probably being able to occasionally do things such as surf or skate if I have a long free period. However staring at a screen for 4 to 5 hours on most days, especially from someone who will always prefer being outside than indoors, is simply incredibly draining. It is hard to concentrate on after-school work when I just spent hours listening to someone lecture over a screen.”

Do you think getting schoolwork done is easier or harder than before?

“Due to this tiredness after school, I’ll usually wake up early in the morning, 4 to 5 a.m., to get my work done. The result of this is classwork, for myself at least, becoming much more difficult.”

How can teachers/students help you feel more connected to others?

“This, however, is simply the situation. Every teacher I’ve seen this year has tried incredibly hard to keep myself and everyone else on camera engaged, even if it won’t be to the same level as the people in class.”

Interview with Senior Nafisah Fathima

“My favorite thing about being on Zoom is the fact I can go get a snack from my kitchen during passing periods or during mask breaks. I can do whatever I want because I’m in my house. I can walk down to the beach for my lunch period or during my last period free. I can sleep in so late and I don’t have to wake up early to drive myself to school. My least favorite thing is that overall it’s a lot harder to learn on Zoom.”

Do you still feel like you are a part of the class discussion/learning experience? Why or why not?

“I don’t feel like I am. I think that when you’re doing remote learning, there’s a disconnect between you and your class and teacher. It feels like a completely different environment.”

Do you think getting schoolwork done is easier or harder than before? Why?

“In the beginning, I would say school work was definitely easier to get done. I like working at my own pace and having the choice to get a bunch of assignments done, but burnout is super easy to fall into and really hard to get out of. It’s hard to get motivated. It’s also just a lot harder learning on Zoom when everyone else is in-person.”

Do you think you’re getting more or less sleep? Why?

“I think I’m getting more sleep! It’s really nice not having to wake up early and drive to school every day. I could definitely go to bed earlier, though. I think the reason why I feel a lot better is due to this advice: if it’s 2am and you’re still not done, it’s not getting done that night. Go to bed. I promise you’ll get that assignment done a whole lot faster the next morning when you wake up a little earlier.”

What is your overall opinion about in-person vs. remote? Please explain.

“I like remote learning although it’s isolating and harder than in-person. The switch to the longer schedule was definitely a difficult transition. It got a lot harder to pay attention and learn. I’m having to teach myself all the material from my classes. I’m constantly watching other teachers’ videos on YouTube they’ve posted of their lessons.

So in that regard, I think in-person is much better. In-person, teachers are checking in on you and making sure you’re understanding the material, but doing remote, you’re kind of left to do that yourself. I really appreciate what my teachers have done to help remote students, but I think it would also be really helpful if they could upload their recorded lessons or something so we, not just remote kids, can review the lesson if we need more clarification. Class moves so fast and that would be a huge help.”

Interview with Boston College Freshman Emma Raith

“My favorite thing is being able to sleep longer, because you don’t need as much time in the morning to get ready or get to class, of course. My least favorite thing is just about everything else. I dislike the feeling of not knowing my classmates or my teachers, especially when that’s the whole point of going to college.”

“In smaller, more discussion-based classes, I still feel apart of the learning experience. However, not nearly to the same degree as I would in person. In larger, lecture classes, it’s difficult to feel anything more than a square on a zoom screen.”

“Not to keep saying this, but my answer depends. It’s easier because teachers tend to be more lenient with online learning. But at the same time, it can be tricky because
it’s difficult to get the clarification or help you sometimes need.”

“Personally, I’m getting more sleep than I did in high school because of the reduced commute time and, also, because I have less extracurricular obligations as I did senior year. That may change in my later college years, but as of now I have fewer classes, less work, and more sleep hours.”

“I think my opinion on remote learning is the same as most people—it has taught us that we can all adapt quicker than we thought. It has taught us that some areas of the academic and professional sphere can be made more effective with widespread digital video competency. But, it will never come to replace the complexities of in-person learning, inspiring, and interacting that is so central to the human experience—in school and beyond.”