Fall Opportunities for HS students with The Stanford Daily

The Stanford Daily, reaching out to let you and your students know that this fall, we are launching three brand-new, all-remote programs for high school students: our 8-week Tech Bootcamp, 4-week Multimedia Workshop, and our Free Fridays mini workshop series!

More information on these programs, including application links and deadlines, is included below — can you please share these opportunities with as many students and parents in your network as possible?

Your outreach for our summer program, which we previously emailed you about, helped us double our student enrollment for this past summer, giving twice as many students the opportunity to learn and be enriched by The Daily’s program. It would be great if you can help us get the word out about these new fall programs so even more students are able to join us. (Important Note: Extensive need-based scholarships are available for all paid programs.)

Thanks so much! Feel free to email me directly with any questions.

Best,

Claire

+++

Apply to The Daily’s Fall High School Programs!

This fall, The Daily is offering three BRAND-NEW, all-remote fall programs for high school students interested in the tech side of newsrooms, multimedia journalism, and more. Click the links below to learn more about each program and what we’re offering! Need-based scholarships are available for all paid programs.

TECH BOOTCAMP (8 weeks)

Click here for more info and the link to apply!

Program dates: 09/20 – 11/21

The Stanford Daily is offering a brand-new all-remote Tech Bootcamp this fall, open to high school students interested in web development for news media! No coding experience is required. All you need to participate is access to a computer with Internet connection — any software or tools we will use are freely available.

Participants will develop an understanding of how web development is integrated into modern-day newsrooms — including HTML/CSS for web design, basic Javascript coding, how to build great news websites and mobile apps, how to create beautiful data visualizations for news media, mitigating bias/discrimination in code, and more. Mid-way through the bootcamp, students will be encouraged to team up on final hackathon projects using the skills they’ve learned along the way, with a project showcase at the program’s end.

Click here for more information on this program and the application on our site.

Click here to access the application directly. 

The deadline is August 31 at 11:59 p.m. PT. We will evaluate applications on a rolling basis and get back to you with a decision/next steps within one week of receiving your application.

MULTIMEDIA WORKSHOP (4 weeks)

Program dates: 09/14 – 10/09 (4 weeks)

The Stanford Daily is offering a brand-new, all-remote Multimedia Workshop this fall, open to high school students interested in podcast, photo, and video journalism! This is an introductory-level course led by our top editors in The Daily’s multimedia sections. NO EQUIPMENT is required to participate besides access to a computer and phone.

Participants will learn the technical and non-technical components of producing high-quality podcast, photo, and video journalism, including how to conduct remote video and audio interviews, editing, scripting, and more. Mid-way through the workshop, students will be encouraged to team up on final projects using the skills they’ve learned along the way, building up to a project showcase at the program’s end.

Click here for more information on this program and the applications on our site.

The deadline is August 31 at 11:59 p.m. PT. We will evaluate applications on a rolling basis and get back to you with a decision/next steps within a week of receiving your application.

FREE FRIDAYS

Starting this September, The Stanford Daily is offering a series of FREE mini workshops (1-2 hrs long) open to the public, led by our top editors and section leaders! Learn how to craft a great news lede, make graphics, draft a compelling opinion, and more! Our mini workshops are beginner-friendly, and no experience is required! Whether you’re a high school student with no prior journalism experience or an experienced writer who’s interested in picking up some new skills, our workshops are open to individuals of any skill level and background.

All you need is access to a computer with Internet connection — any software or tools we will demonstrate are free and open-source.

Our fall schedule of Free Fridays will go live the first week of September. Stay tuned!

Claire Wang

Business Manager
The Stanford Daily Publishing Corporation
m: (734)-895-5336 w: (650)-721-5801