Letter from the Editors

Phoebe Stein and Daisy Finefrock

Our first issue of the new decade — that’s crazy, right, to think that the Fourth Estate has been around for 26 years. As a publication, we have grown so much since our first publication, and continue to do so every time we step into the classroom. Journalism is an art that is hard to master; our style is always changing, our technology is ever advancing, and our community is continually growing.
The staff this year is a special one, however. It isn’t a stretch to claim that the group of students who meet three times a week is changing the Fourth Estate in a way that will last, hopefully, well into the coming decade.
What makes The Fourth Estate such a pillar of the community is the same thing that leads to our magazine becoming recognized with some of the most significant awards in student journalism. Each staff member creates articles that they genuinely care about. We all make sure to put real passion into our writing, and that on its own has given The Fourth Estate its ethos.
Not only does this issue mark the start of the new year, but it also coincides with the beginning of the semester at Laguna Blanca. January often marks endless stress followed shortly by a collective sigh of relief as MyLaguna resets. The new semester allows us to start with a clean slate and big hopes for what the year to come.
However, it’s essential to realize that as much as we wish new years’ resolutions were like a switch to make our habits disappear, it is unrealistic to set these standards for ourselves.
The truth is, we don’t change when the calendar year refreshes. We stay the same while holding close to us our aspirations of the person we hope to become in the upcoming 365 days.
If we are truly sincere about bettering ourselves and people around us, it shouldn’t be plastered on Instagram posts; it should be an inner personal goal.
That’s why we challenge the Laguna community to pursue their goals in a modest and selfless approach. To make goals that aren’t about self-reinvention; instead, challenge yourself to say hello to the person who you see sitting alone at lunch, or remember to thank that teacher who makes an impact on your life.
With that approach, we are set to have the best year yet with amazing memories both behind us and ahead of us.
Good luck, Owls!

Mission Statement
The Fourth Estate is an open forum created for and by journalism students of Laguna Blanca Upper School. We hope to use this space to cover events, interviews and topics of interest in greater depth. Our staff seeks to be a platform for creative expression and to report on events and ideas of importance to our readers and to focus on topics of significance and interest to inform and entertain the school community.

Letters to the Editors
The Fourth Estate welcomes guest columns and letters to the editor. Letters must be signed and must be no longer than 400 words. Editors reserve the right to edit for length, clarity and/or taste. Anonymous letters will not be published. The Fourth Estate reserves the right to reject advertising. Opinions expressed in this publication reflect the perspectives of the staff whose goal is to inform our readers with reliable information from which to base decisions and opinions. Editorials represent the voice of the staff and are voted on by the entire staff. Columns and commentaries are labeled as such and represent the opinion of the author. The Fourth Estate publishes four issues per year with a senior insert in the last issue.

Byline policy
When two or three people work on a story, all names will be listed. If an editor rewrites a majority of a story, the editor’s name will be listed.

correction policy
The staff strives for accuracy. When factual errors occur, mistakes are found or brought to the attention of the staff, corrections will be printed in a corrections box in the next issue.

Colophon
This is the first issue of the new decade and 27th volume of the Laguna Blanca School, 4125 Paloma Dr., Santa Barbara, CA 93110, magazine, The Fourth Estate. Contacts are available at [email protected], (805) 687-2461 x0317 or www.thefourthestate.net. Laguna Blanca School has an EK through 12th grade student population of approximately 400, with 100 in the Lower School, 110 in the Middle School and 182 in the Upper School, and a faculty of approximately 60. The Fourth Estate is an 8.5 by 11 general magazine, created on Apple computers on Adobe InDesign CC2019, using FreightNeo Pro and Big Caslon font families and printed on glossy paper free for students and $30 for an annual subscription. The magazine is distributed to all Upper School students through the school’s advisory program and sent by mail to subscribers, as well as distributed to nearbye medical offices, with 400 copies printed per issue. We are associated with NSPA, CSPA and JEA.