US Advisory Gets a Revamp

Alum Blake Dorfman ‘02 is well known for teaching in the Middle School and Upper School, as well as for his friendly and outgoing personality. He is active in the US Student Council, acting as a guide and organizer for students within the program. Now, Dorfman is taking on a brand-new role as Director of Student Life, and bringing changes to the US advisory system.

US Advisory Gets a Revamp

Ian Brown, News Editor

What is the Director of Student Life?
The Director of Student Life’s goal is to ensure that students in grades 9-12 have the best experience possible at school. This is done through setting high standards for personal conduct and seeing to it that student activities outside of the classroom are enriching, meaningful, and fun.

How did this idea come to fruition?
The position was previously called Dean of Students and was most recently held by Shane Lopes. That means I have big shoes to fill! The name change is mainly because the title of Dean of Students sometimes makes people think only of discipline. The new title is to help students realize that discipline is not my only job. I’m fortunate to also be able to focus on the entire student experience, handling all the fun stuff as well.

What jobs does it encompass?
It encompasses a lot! I have the privilege of being in charge of the Upper School Advisory program, Student Council, student events, clubs, and of course, student conduct.

Walk us through the proposed changes to the advisory system.
I’m taking over advisory from the wonderful Trish McHale, who has already created a strong framework. I’m so grateful for all that she does for the school.
This year, there will not be co-advisors. Instead, individual advisors will get to work with smaller groups of students. There will be more structure in regards to individual meetings with your advisor, and you will get to know each other very well.
The biggest change will be the introduction of student-led conferences, an initiative that Mr. Hereford has asked us to implement. Twice per year, students will lead a meeting with their advisor and parents to set personal goals and review progress. You will be preparing for these during advisory time.
On a broader note, everything we do during advisory time will have a direct correlation to our four pillars: scholarship, character, community, and balance. I want advisory to become a hallmark program at Laguna over the next few years.

What classes do you teach?
I will be returning to the English Department, sharing English 7 with Carol Nordgaarden, who was my English teacher in eighth grade at Laguna. She had a profound impact on me as a writer, and to be able to develop a new curriculum with her as a colleague is a real honor. I will also continue to teach our yearbook class, which I view as vital in documenting the history of the school.

Are there any new programs that might be added to student life currently in the works?
The student experience is already exceptional. I need to take this first year to assess our biggest strengths and gauge what additions or changes should be made. This year’s Student Council President, Kiki Tolles, is thoroughly dedicated to enhancing student life and has big plans for new events. I am fully supportive of her as we continue to hone the impact of the Student Council as a voice for students.

What is your favorite part of the new position?
I have my own office! No, seriously, it’s that I get to work so closely with students on things outside of academics. I’m really looking forward to having substantive, real conversations with students every day.

How do you envision this helping Laguna students? What are your goals in this position?
If I’m doing my job correctly, it will help students have an exceptionally meaningful and memorable experience here. Discipline will be approached in a formative manner, meaning students will have a clear picture of what went wrong and a consequence that is relevant and purposeful. My goal is to help students reach their potential and see the importance of strong character. I also want them to love and appreciate Laguna like I do.