Birkenstocks: from Hippie to Trendy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Birkenstocks: from Hippie to Trendy

Hanna Marsi and Lauren Mills

From a small German workshop in 1774 to mainstream fashion today, Birkenstocks have taken the world by storm. Unlike any other shoemaker, Birkenstock’s founder Johann Adam Birkenstock developed a sole made of cork and silicon to mold to the wearer’s feet. This makes for a utilitarian sole that works for any and all foot shapes and sizes–– and now in the 21st century, Birkenstocks are more common than ever. In the early ’90s, Birkenstocks were often associated with hippie culture due to many activists sporting the sandals. Through the years, social media and new branding have caused the popularity of Birkenstocks to soar. On the Laguna campus alone, several students in grades eight and nine can be seen sporting the strappy sandals. Here is what Freshman Lily Connor had to say about the peculiar shoes:

Q: Why do you like Birkenstocks? A: Let me get this straight–– I don’t just like Birks, I LOVE them. They’re beyond comfortable, easy to walk in, and super practical. Plus, they’re high-fashion items that everyone wants right now. Gigi Hadid wishes she had these shoes.

Q: Do you think Birkenstocks could be considered ugly? A: Birkenstocks could never be considered ugly. They’re just so attractive–– whenever I wear them, I get so many compliments, and none of them are sarcastic.

Q: What do you have to say about the transition of Birkenstocks from a “hippie” culture to mainstream fashion? A: I’m very excited! Birkenstocks deserve to be “in” right now. They’re the best shoes ever!

Birkenstocks have won over many students with their unique style and customized fit. Birkenstocks come in sizes 4 to 12.5 in women, 6-15.5 in men, and 1-13.5 in girls and boys. All Birkenstock shoes can be found on their website retailing from 40-200 USD, but Birkenstock’s can also be found in almost all fashion retailers nationwide including Urban Outfitters, Madewell, and Amazon.

About the Writer
  • Feature

What’s in Your Trunk?

• Feature

A Week In History: the Election of Abraham Lincoln

• Birkenstocks: from Hippie to Trendy

Feature

• Birkenstocks: from Hippie to Trendy

Feature

Alumni College Panel

• Birkenstocks: from Hippie to Trendy

Feature

2019 HOMELESS POINT-IN-TIME COUNT

• Birkenstocks: from Hippie to Trendy

Feature

HAITI GIRL POWER FUNDRAISER

• Birkenstocks: from Hippie to Trendy

Feature

One Year After: A Remembrance

• Feature

A week in History: October 30th: Orson Welles’ broadcast of “War of the Worlds” Scares Nation

• Birkenstocks: from Hippie to Trendy

Feature

TEDx

• Birkenstocks: from Hippie to Trendy

Feature

Young Entrepreneurs

Birkenstocks: from Hippie to Trendy