Football Fall Recap

While losing two seniors, gained sophomore Koby Skinner, freshman Oscar Houglet, and junior Katherine Perez. Perez joining this year marks the first time a girl has played on the football team in school history. Unfortunately, Perez received a concussion after getting knocked over in a preseason practice, making her ineligible to play with the team in games.

After many years of participating in the Condor League, the football team has decided become a freelance team, Coach Shane Lopes explained,“Freelance means [that] we do not have a fixed league schedule, so every game that we play is against a non league opponent, which means that in order for us to qualify for the playoffs, we have to [win 75 percent] of the games.”

Senior Javier Abrego commented on the football team’s going freelance “This year hasn’t been very different from previous years. Freelance puts a little more pressure on our team since we have to win a certain amount of games to get a bid for playoffs, but overall, it is the same team chemistry.”

To start off the season, Coach Lopes set up a friendly scrimmage with Villanova Prep to get the boys ready for tough competition.The team won the first three scheduled games against Valley Christian High School, Desert High School, and East Valley, then suffered their first loss at home against Amino Robinson.

The boy’s closest battle was against Valley Christian.“Valley Christian was our best game in the sense that we were competing for all four quarters with a good opponent,” said Lopes.The Owls ended up on top with a final score of 32-24.

The senior players are exceptional role models for the young- er players.“What makes it easier for the Owls is that there are a lot of senior veterans on the team, so they know what to do, and it takes less time to learn new plays and schemes,” said Abrego.

The Owls won two blowout games against Desert and East Valley High School, winning both 64-0. Coach Lopes commented on loss to Amino Robinson,“It was 44-0 at half-time, but the final score was 60-20, and they didn’t pull their starters out at halftime, which reaffirms to us that we are just as competitive as them because we outscored them in the second half. So it is really up to our mindset: our mindset wasn’t good going into the first half, but it was better going into the second, and the results showed that.”

The Owls also endured their second loss of the season against Cate.They tied up the game in the fourth quarter at 20-20, but unfortunately, fell short, losing in overtime 32-20.

The team showed their hard work and spirit during the homecoming game against Milken.To start off the game, senior Laird Fowler caught a touchdown pass thrown by junior Ty Trosky.

The Owls went on to win the game 84-6.The Owls are currently 4-2 in freelance play.When commenting on the future of the season, Abrego said,“We’ve got a lot of talent and so much potential, and we can definitely have a season to remember.”