Girls Volleyball Fall Recap

Walk into Merovick Gymnasium on a Wednesday night and you’ll see cameramen, parents, teachers, faculty, students, a group of rowdy boys, and the Laguna

Blanca girls varsity volleyball team, ready to defeat their next opponent.The girls are having another incredible season with an overall record of 26-4 and a league record of 6-0.They have taken down rivals San Marcos (15-8) and Santa Barbara High School (6-16), two big games for both the community and the team. “Being a small school in a town of huge public schools, like San Marcos and Santa Barbara makes us underdogs. So, when we are able to prove the city and the crowd wrong, it’s a great feeling,” said senior Kelly Bickett.

The team has had a number of players who have stepped up. The addition of sophomores Ainsley McGovern, Audrey Murphy and Macy Christal added “tons of positive energy” said junior Margaux Murphy.“They have all become such solid players we can rely on; it’s great having them on the team.”

Maddie Walker has become one of the team’s go-to players, “She has definitely stepped up this year as one of our setters. She has grown tremendously as a player and learned to stay cool under pressure” said senior Sophia Fay.

The Owls now prepare for playoffs, where they hope to go all the way to a CIF championship and then

Two years ago the Owls fought their way to the finals and beat Alta Loma for a CIF championship, but last year they fell short to Woodcrest Christian in the semifinals.

This year the team has been moved up to Division 5 and will be facing unfamiliar teams. Coach Jason Donnelly said, “Heading into the playoffs we will be focused on whatever opponent is opposite us in the bracket. I know our girls will be prepared for whoever it is we face, and we are looking forward to challenges of Division 5.” Seniors Laurel Kujan, Bickett, Sophia and Julia Fay, Kendall White, Kathryn Norris, Caylin Zimmerman, and Abby Corpuz plan to lead the Owls to another CIF Championship.

“It doesn’t matter how big the school is; it matters how talented each player is, and how we act as a team that wins the game,” said Bickett.