Boys Tennis Finishes the Year

Kelly Bicket

The boys Tennis Team has worked hard this season to make it to the CIF playo s for the second time in two years. e tennis team is a freelance team. Junior Co-Captain Alex Furukawa said, “freelanc- ing is a set of rules that we have to abide by to make the playo s. e rules are that we have to win 80 percent of our games and play out least 16 matches. So the record
we needed to have to make the playo s is 13-3.”

The Owls kicked o the season defeating Coast Union 15-3. In doubles, freshmen John-Henry Schulz and Rhami Zeini beat Coast Union’s No. 1 and 2 teams. Furukawa played at the No. 1 singles position and didn’t lose a single set. Juniors Conor Scheinberg and Victor Liu followed as the No. 2 and 3 single

The Owls continued their winning streak, beating both Carpinteria High School and Nordho High School.

In the game against Carpinteria, Furuka- wa dropped only one game in three sets of play, which led the team to a 10-8 victory over Carpinteria.

The Owls defeated Nordho at home, 13- 5. Furukawa and freshman Kai Nakamura, playing singles, each swept three sets. Liu and junior Jason Barnick led the way at the No. 1 doubles team position for the Owls with two wins.

In singles, Furukawa lost the first round but came back in the second and third round games.

He won 6-2 in the third, sealing the victory over Foothill Tech. Liu also helped the Owls produce the win by winning the second round singles match.

The Owls tied Foothill Tech 9-9 but won in total game points, 72-68.

Thorpe said, “We didn’t necessarily play our best, but we got it done. The desire is there, and the results are coming.”

The Owls took their rst loss of the season 15-3 against Cate, which is undefeated. However, the Owls came back in a crucial game of their season — the rematch against Carpinteria, ending with the Owl’s winning 12-6.

Both No. 1 seaters for singles and doubles won their matches respectively. is was yet another game that pushed the Owls closer to the Division 4 CIF playoffs. Furukawa said, “We made it, and we are headed to the playoffs!”

Scheinberg comments on the season as a whole, saying, “We have been pretty strong this whole season. Our coach, Trevor orpe, keeps us on track and has taught us how to compete and de nitely has helped us make it this far.”

The Boys Tennis Team CIF playo run ends after a hard fought match against Downey High School. e boys lost 11-7 in the quarter nals, which beat the school record.