On the Slopes with Zuley Lewis

map

How long have you been skiing?
I have been downhill skiing since I was 17 months old. I started Telemark skiing when I was 12. Telemark skiing in- volves skis where the heel is free, and every time you turn, you lift a heel. It is much more difficult, but also more fun.
Do you have any skiing tips?
My only tip is to be mindful when you ski. There are lots of people that, while good skiers, go down the mountain mindlessly and can hurt people and themselves.
Where do you usually ski?
I am from a town called Crested Butte, Colorado, so I ski there a lot, but I also ski in Aspen and Telluride, that are also in Colorado.
What is one of the greatest achievements you had while skiing and why?
I competed in a ski race in my town when I was in the sixth grade. I had to put skins, sticky pieces of fabric so you can hike with Telemark skis, on the bottoms of my skis and then I had to hike up the mountain. Once I made it to the top, I had to take off the skins and ski down one of the hardest runs on the mountain. It was a costume race as well, so everyone wore crazy costumes. I was the youngest person to finish the race, so it was definitely a moment for me.
Do you miss the snow and colorado or doYou like the santa barbara weather?
I mean I definitely miss the cold and skiing, but my father still lives in Colorado, and I think it is a nice change. I do miss the snow days though.
How long do you usually ski for in a day?
I usually ski from 4-7 hours in a day.
Do you ski alone most of the time?
It depends on my mood, sometimes I ski with my family or friends but sometimes skiing alone is really refreshing. My entire family skis. My grandfather, who is 85, still skis through the season.
Who’s the best person to ski with? why?
Either my father or my brother. My brother is 11 and can ski all the advanced runs with immense speed. He is small, so it is really fun to watch him go down the extreme runs so quickly. My father is an amazing skier — he used to be an instructor. It is fun to ski with him because I can race him and go on “secret” runs.
What is a funny or scary story that you have experienced while skiing?
When I was getting food at a restaurant on the mountain, where it had snowed three feet the night before, I walked out of the restaurant and the three feet of snow and ice that had collected on the roof fell on me, and I was completely covered in snow. I couldn’t breathe, and it took about a minute before people were able to pull me out of the snow. In the end, I got free food for life at the restaurant anda new helmet, so that was a plus. I have also had many extreme wipeouts while skiing, but there are too many to name.
What is your favorite run?
My favorite run is on the mountain in Crested Butte. It is called Teocalli Bowl. To get to the run you have to hike up a part of the mountain in your skis.

$50
$500