An Interview with Shauna Erickson

An Interview with Shauna Erickson

Where did you go to college?

I received my bachelor’s in Athletic Training from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette in 2012. I finished my master’s of sports conditioning this year from A.T. Still University.

What previous schools have you worked at?

I have worked at Cate School for the past 3 years. Prior to that, I worked at a couple of physical therapy clinics: San Luis Sports Therapy in Santa Maria, Cennahan Lompoc Therapy and Hayashide.

When did you decide to become a trainer? Why did you chose to become a trainer?
I knew in high school that I wanted to be a physical therapist after receiving therapy for a knee injury.When I got to college, I found out I could provide therapy speci cal- ly for athletes by becoming an athletic trainer. I knew right then.

What do you like about Laguna Athletics?

I felt right at home with the students and coaches.The athletic program is very small, which makes managing and preventing injuries a little easier; however I encourage everyone to be involved in athletics. Your high school experience is not complete without a team sport.

What is your favorite sport?

It is really hard to pick a favorite sport. I played softball and water polo growing up and now play roller derby, and I am a runner. I enjoy watching all sports because of my competitive nature.

What is your opinion on stretching?

Dynamic stretching before sports is extremely important in preventing injuries and making sure the body is warmed up and ready to go.

Please explain the concussion program that you have started?

Thank you for asking! The C3Logix program is an integrated concussion management system. Using the iPad as the assessment tool we utilize an accelerometer and gyroscopic data to assess balance, visual acuity, processing speed and reaction time. These are common faculties that get disrupted after a concussion. Having baseline values in these categories help the sports medicine team determine the severity of a concussion and estimate length of recovery. Data is uploaded to a cloud database that doctors can access during evaluation.

Why is important to exercise?

Motion is lotion and exercise is medicine. Exercise and strength training are crucial to keep the body functioning. It helps the heart and lungs get stronger to pump more blood to the brain. The brain releases good hormones that increase awareness and productivity and improve blood.

What is an interesting fact that no one knows about you?
I was highly involved with home economics for 8 years. I held several positions of of ce at regional and state level in the student led organization FHA-HERO. I also played the clari- net for 8 years and was in the high school marching band.

What is an interesting fact about the human body and working out?

The human body’s capability to adapt to stressors imposed by exercising, to become a more ef cient machine. Every single system affects another. The biochemistry that takes place is beyond fascinating and the more good fuel we ingest and the more we exercise, the better environment we create that allows these biochemical reactions to occur.