What’s in Season?

A dive into two local bakeries, well-loved in the Santa Barbara community.

Bree’Osh bakery was founded by a French couple, Nelly and Pierre Henry, in 2015. Pierre, born in Brittany, France, was surrounded by bread culture all his life. He worked at a bank as a Customer Relationship Project Consultant, but realized life was too short to waste. He started to bake and trained in Ferrandi, the School of Culinary Arts in Paris. Nelly and Pierre began to travel abroad, settling in Montecito in 2015, and opened a French bakery right here in Santa Barbara:

Q: How have you managed maintaining your vision for your company and competing against both inflation and chain corporations?

A: As we grow Bree’Osh, our vision is to create careers and quality jobs within our company. We will build strong relationships with employees, flour producers (@cairnspringmill) / suppliers (@penryorchardsspecialities, @sunriseorganicfarms, @avilandsonsfarm…) and customers to positively impact our communities and our industry.

Maintaining our vision for our artisanal bakery while competing against inflation and chain corporations has been challenging. We’ve focused on our commitment to crafting high-quality, unique baked goods that stand out from chain corporation.

We use long and natural fermentation (Levain), premium ingredients and locally-sourced as much as possible (except for the butter which is from France) to maintain exceptional taste and authenticity.

Building strong relationships with our customers has been our main priority. We listen to their feedback, adapt to their preferences, and provide personalized experiences that large chains often struggle to deliver.

Read the extended version of the interview here

Bree’Osh Bakery Café

2700 De La Vina St

Santa Barbara & 1150 Coast Village Road, Montecito

Lilac Pâtisserie

1017 State Street

For those in need of a gluten free option, State Street’s Lilac Pâtisserie is a great alternative. Lilac manages to remain completely gluten free without compromising taste or texture. Even customers without dietary restrictions can enjoy Lilac, as their various cakes, pastries, and sandwiches are just as delicious as their glutinous counterparts.