Q & A with Golf Coach Angeloff

Picasa

Q: What are your goals for golf?
A: The team wishes to have a total team score in a match that is under 200, for the five golfers.

Q: How is the season going so far?
A: It’s been an excellent season so far, especially since we’ve added three new golfers since LAX lost its team status. The team first consisted of Kiyan Mashhoon, Alec Abajian, Sam Brown, Jack Kinsler, Christian Kahmann, the Donahue twins, and James Cornell. The new players are Brandon and Ryan Bickett and Cole Strachan. It is the largest and potentially best team, ever.

Q: What is Coach Angeloff’s philosophy for the golf team?
A: Each individual golfer perfects their game with their pros [USGA professionals]; Coach Angeloff has to fuse them into an effective low scoring machine.

Q: What are some of the strengths the team has this year?
A: Kiyan Mashhoon is a potential college golfer. The other members of the team’s youth and enthusiasm for golf bode well for the future of the golf team.

Q: Struggles?
A: The Condor League’s golf program has collapsed, and we now are what is termed a free-lance team—finding matches up and down the Central Coast.

Q: Any great moments so far?
A: Coach Angeloff, on two different occasions, has made enormous birdie putts, from 90 feet and from 57 feet! Kiyan eagled and birdied the two par 5s in his last match at La Cumbre C.C. Kiyan and the others on the team are hitting the ball extraordinarily well. The strength of the freshman golfers is encouraging, and the addition of the Bicketts has made us a winning team.

Q: Is there a motto for the team?
A: There is a motto for any and all golfers: “Fairways and greens.”

Q: What’s the team’s favorite part of this season, in your opinion?
A: The team is enjoying the internal competition as we have so many excellent players, who are fighting for their place on the team.

Q: How does coach Angeloff rate the individual golfers’ chances to be the recipient of the Ace Cup (A trophy awarded to the player with the lowest scoring average)?
A: Coach Angeloff believes Kiyan Mashhoon, having won the Ace Cup last year, has the best chance to win it this year, and potentially for the next two years, making him, potentially, the third four-year winner, following the great Niall Platt (’07-’10) who followed the great Trevor Scott (’98-’01).