Varsity Boys Basketball Season Recap

PHOTO: Andrew Mccaffery
PHOTO: Andrew Mccaffery

The boys basketball team came out and defeated Providence Hall 79-35 at Westmont on Jan. 28.

They broke Providence Hall’s defense and went on to run them out of the gym, beating the Lions by 44 points.

Senior Brandon Bickett was the top scorer with 21 points, but not trailing by much, sophomore Andrew Vignolo scored 20, junior J.T. Aubrey scored 16, and senior Justin Shand added 10 points.

The Owls’ record improves to 7-4 on the season while Providence Hall is 6-8.

Next, the Owls face a tough match up with Beasant Hill.

Fans thought Laguna’s Owls played a good game but just fell short to a tall and strong basketball team from Besant Hill.

The game was jump-started with 6 quick points from the 3 point shooting junior J.T. Aubrey who finished the night with 15 points off of five 3 pointers.

The team shot 3 pointers all night with seniors Logan Elder and Brandon Bickett making four 3 pointers and combining for a total of 30 points.

Although the Owls shot the lights out from behind the arc, Besant Hills’ strength and size were too much for the Owls to handle in the end.

Their top scorers were two tall forwards Yuri Howard at 6’4’’ and Lukas Huberman at 6’5’’ who gave the Owls problems inside and combined for 47 total points.

A post-game feeling of disappointment was evident among the players. “We played very well and had it in our hands, but we let it slip away. If we had rebounded a little better on the defensive side of the ball and turned the ball over less, we might have been the ones on top,” sophomore Andrew Vignolo said.

After the disappointing loss, the Owls’ record is 7-5 on the season. They face another tough match up against Fairmont Preparatory, whose record is 15-2 on the season.

Next, the Owls traveled down to Mater Dei to play in the Nike Extravaganza showcase facing the Fairmont Prep Huskies.

They kept up with the Huskies for most of the first half only trailing by 4 points at halftime. The Huskies’ shooting kept the Owls out of range, resulting in a 19 point loss 59-40.

With an 8-7 record, the Owls played their last

game, at home against Dunn looking for a playoff berth.

They routed Dunn 56-29. After the victory the Owls improve to 9-7. Top scorers in the Dunn game were Senior Brandon Bickett 17 points and J.T. Aubrey 15 points.

The Owls went on to face Pacifica Christian in Santa Monica. After making a comeback, and tying the score at 27, the boys lost first round CIF 46-56.