Human Trafficking

SOCK Club and All Voices Heard host a human trafficking awareness presentation in collaboration with Noah’s Anchorage and Hope Refuge.
Human+Trafficking

“Human trafficking is being forced into doing work for someone else, being forced into performing sexual acts, or people being treated as commodities, essentially, modern-day slavery,” said Amy Tovias, Executive Director of Youth and Family Services at the YMCA, a program that includes Noah’s Anchorage, which serves youth and young adults between the ages of 12 and 24.
On Feb. 7th, the high school community gathered in Spaulding Theatre for a presentation on human trafficking, specifically teen sex trafficking.
“Connecting with outside community leaders is a really important mission of AVH. We wanted to spread awareness of this problem to our peers while also educating them on how to stay safe and informed,” said Cierra Nervo, Co-president of All Voices Heard.
Jeff Shaffer and Kayla Petersen, who work with Kingdom Causes at Westmont College, have partnered with Sock Club since 2015 and informed club members of their involvement in the Human Trafficking Task Force in Santa Barbara County.
“Jeff and Kayla told us about their new work with the County’s Human Trafficking Task Force, and we wanted to create the opportunity to share information with our peers and spread awareness on the rising problem of human trafficking in Santa Barbara County,” said junior Eleanor Crafton, president of SOCK Club, Laguna’s outreach club to assist the unhoused.
The presenters were Sally Cook, Director of Development at Hope Refuge Olive Crest, and Amy Tovias, Director of Operations at the Channel Islands YMCA Youth and Family Services, which focuses on risk, health, and safety regarding human trafficking in the community.
“Collectively, we serve youth and young adults between 12 and 24 who are experiencing housing instability, homelessness, lack basic necessities, or are in conflict with their families,” Tovias said. “All of that often leads to those who are at great risk of exploitation.”
Cook and Tovias told the story of a 14-year-old from Santa Barbara named Jenny who was swept up into the world of sex trafficking by her 19-year-old boyfriend.
“We want to look over human trafficking as a whole, how it happens, and how you can protect yourselves,” Cook said.
The presenters distributed pamphlets illustrating the six stages of grooming: targeting, gaining trust, filling a need, isolation, abuse, and control.
“I think a lot of people think that human trafficking is something that used to happen, that doesn’t happen anymore, or that it doesn’t happen in California, or definitely not in Santa Barbara,” Tovias said.
California is the top location for human trafficking out of all 50 U.S. states. The presenters emphasized that human trafficking is a crime that exists anywhere there is a demand for it.
“This happens most online. We are seeing cases grow astronomically because a lot of teens don’t know who they are talking to,” Tovias said.
Cook and Tovias cautioned against location sharing on Snapchat’s “snap map,” which allows “friends” to see each other’s live locations, whether they are acquainted or not. This enables groomers to see where one spends time and creates vulnerabilities.
“If you are a predator, you are looking for someone to trust you and to create a need. You look for emotional vulnerabilities like low self-esteem, low confidence, or isolation,” Cook said.
Cook and Tovias encouraged creating a private profile and being cautious about who you talk to and what you share online to protect yourself and your friends and family.
“(Jenny) was commercially and sexually exploited right here in Santa Barbara, where the demand was. We have this cycle, and it’s happening right here. When a friend comes to you with concerns, it’s important to talk to them about it and connect them with someone else who might know how to intervene,” Cook said.