Safety Town Counselors – In -Training

Counselors – In -Training
We need you!

Become a CIT and help make a difference in your community
by assisting young children learn valuable safety lessons.
If you have completed the eighth grade, you can earn community service hours
towards your high school graduation requirement.

General Information

Safety Town is a one week summer program that introduces safety awareness to kindergarten children in a fun, interactive, miniature town environment. Volunteer hours are from 8:00am. -12:30pm., M-F, for each weekly session. The 4 ½ hour day consists of visits from community professionals, group safety lessons, songs, puppet shows, arts and crafts, driving pedal cars, and other hands on experiences to reinforce safety concepts. Our program is offered at 4 different school sites during various weeks in the summer. You must commit to working all 5 days of the session.

As a Counselor-In-Training, (CIT), you will be responsible for working closely with approximately 2 children, ages 4-6, teaching basic safety skills and concepts, under the direct supervision of Program Directors. You will also be required to set up and break down the miniature town, clean up, and assist as needed on a daily basis. Please review Daily Schedule for an overview of the Safety Town day.

Qualifications

Volunteer applicants must be entering 7th grade or older in the fall, and must be mature, positive role models. It is important that you genuinely enjoy being with children and have an interest in their safety. While this program is intended to be fun for both children and volunteers, your role, first and foremost, is to take your responsibility as a volunteer seriously, and conduct yourself in a responsible manner. It is essential that you are a team player, show respect to others, and are a positive role model. The children rely on you specifically, and it is imperative that you attend every day. Other guidelines of the program will be outlined at the mandatory 2 hour CIT Orientation, along with specific information that applies to that particular school site. Even if you have volunteered in previous years, you are still required to attend.

Application Process

CIT Volunteer applications are available at local private and public schools, along with on this website, and must be mailed in to the address listed on the form. Positions fill quickly, so apply early to ensure your site and date preferences. Please mark alternate site preferences as well. Please note that submitting an application does not guarantee a position. Positions are filled according to experience, qualifications, and age to ensure balance of groupings. You will receive confirmation as soon as your application is received and later notified of your position if applicable. Deadlines are extended until all sessions are full.
Community Service

Community Service forms are available through local junior high school counselors, high school career centers, and can be downloaded from some school websites. It is the responsibility of the volunteer to bring their specific school form to the CIT director at the beginning of the session they are working. At the end of the session, the community service forms will be returned and signed with the number of volunteer hours completed. The student then turns in the completed forms to their school to receive credit for their hours.

Youth volunteers play a unique role in the Safety Town program. They serve as teachers, friends, big brothers or sisters, mentors, and positive role models to inquisitive and distinctive kindergarteners. Many volunteers were once Safety Towners themselves, and enjoy returning to the program as an instructor. Year after year, the overwhelming response from CITs regarding their community service at Safety Town, is that the most rewarding aspect of the program is the personal relationships that evolved between themselves and their young students.

For more information regarding CITs, please contact Anne Gould, Volunteer Coordinator, 252-7998.

Volunteer
2014 Safety Town
Counselor-In-Training Application
El Camino, Franklin, Foothill, Isla Vista Schools
Sponsored by Soroptimist International of Santa Barbara

Apply early to best ensure your preferred volunteer spot!
DEADLINE: May 16, 2014 or until all sites are full.

Mail completed application to:
SAFETY TOWN Volunteers, c/o A. Gould, 785 Camino del Sur, # 9,
Goleta, CA 93117

Make a difference in the lives of young children. Volunteer to assist and teach safety education to pre/post kindergarteners, and earn community service hours. You will be responsible for working with 1-2 children, ages 4-6, assisting as needed and modeling appropriate safe behavior. You must be mature and responsible.
• Youth volunteers must be in 7th grade or above, and attend an orientation.
• Participants may volunteer for more than one session, but must work all 5 days of each session.
• CIT positions are filled as determined by CIT Director.

PLEASE PRINT CLEARLY
Volunteer Information

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________O Male O Female
Last Name First Name Age

______________________________________________________ _______________ __________ Street Address City Zip
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Home Phone Cell Phone School Attending in the Fall Grade (Fall)

Previous Safety Town Experience-_____ # summers Spanish Speaking? ______Yes______No Ticktocker? _____Yes _____No

Session and Site Information

Volunteer hours for all sessions: 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday, Friday up to12:45 p.m.
Please indicate site preference/dates, (1st choice, 2nd, 3rd, etc.). You must choose a Saturday orientation date/site. ORIENTATION IS MANDATORY.

* Please note, the Soroptimist organization reserves the right to cancel sessions due to enrollment numbers. You will be notified if this occurs.

_____ El Camino School – June 9-13 ___ – Orientation at El Camino- June 7 9:00-11:00

_____ Franklin School – Session 1 June 16-20 ___ – Orientation at Franklin- June 14 9:00-11:00
_______ Franklin School – Session 2 June 23-27

_____ Isla Vista School- Session 1 July 21-25 ___ – Orientation at Isla Vista- July 19 9:00-11:00
_____ Isla Vista School- Session 2 July 28-Aug. 1

_____ Foothill School – Session 1 June 16-20 ___ – Orientation at Foothill- June 14 9:00-11:00
_____ Foothill School – Session 2 June 23-27
_____ Foothill School – Session 3 July 7-11
_____ Foothill School – Session 4 July 14-18
_____ Foothill School – Session 5 July 21-25

I would like to volunteer for a TOTAL of ________week(s) this summer.
– APPLICATION FORM CONTINUED ON BACK –
Medical and Emergency Information

________________________________________________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Name Home Phone Work Cell

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Emergency Contact- Name/ Relationship Phone

Allergies Physical, Social, or Emotional Limitations

SAFETY TOWN Waiver and Release of Liability

I, the parent/guardian of ________________________________, (print child’s full name), for myself and for my minor child, do hereby fully release and hold harmless Safety Town, Soroptimists International, Goleta Union School District, any director, supervisor, volunteer, or member of such organization from any and all liability, loss, damages, or injuries arising out of participation in the SAFETY TOWN program.

I have read and fully understand this Safety Town Waiver and Release.

____________________________________________________________ _______________________
Parent/Guardian Signature Date

Parent Authorization

Photographs/Videos may be taken by outside agencies, (newspaper, television, etc.), during Safety Town activities for publicity purposes. These pictures are not to be used to commercially exploit the student. Do you give consent for your child to be photographed? ______ YES _______NO

I hereby give permission for my child to participate in the Soroptimist Safety Town Program as a volunteer. It is my responsibility to make sure my child arrives on time daily and stays until the volunteers are dismissed.

_______________________________________________________________ _________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature Date

* Preferred method of contact for application/assignment confirmation:
___ Parent’s Email Address, (for confirmation purposes only)____________________________________________________________________________
___ Phone
___ Mail

Volunteer Agreement

By signing this application, I commit to attend the mandatory orientation, be prompt, reliable, and abide by all rules and values of the Soroptimist organization. I understand that the Safety Town Directors and Soroptimist organization reserve the right to dismiss me as a volunteer, due to any unsafe/inappropriate behavior, or noncompliance to program rules on my part, (i.e. unauthorized cell phone use, etc.).

CIT Volunteer Signature Date

Confirmation will be received by email or mail prior to May 31, 2014
For more information regarding CIT volunteers: Call Anne @ 252-7998, email [email protected],
or visit our website at www.sbsafetytown.org

safety town