Society of Professional Journalists annual high school essay contest

he Society of Professional Journalists is sponsoring its annual High School Essay Contest.

This year’s topic is : “Why is it important that we have news media that are independent of the government?”

SPJ sponsors this contest because it wants to increase high school students’ knowledge and understanding of the importance of independent media to our lives.

All students enrolled in grades 9-12 in U.S. public, private and home schools within the United States may enter. Students must submit original work and have a sponsoring teacher sign the contest entry form.

Essays should be 300-500 words and must include an entry form. Entries may be typed or handwritten but must be double-spaced.

There are three awards given: First Place: $1,000 scholarship, Second Place: $500 scholarship, Third Place: $300 scholarship

Each submission to the High School Essay contest must be accompanied by a $5 entry fee. Entrants may pay by check or credit card and should indicate the preferred payment option on the entry form. Checks should be made out to the Society of Professional Journalists. Entries submitted without the required entry fee will be disqualified. All entries should be postmarked by March 7, 2014.

Complete information is at SPJ Essay Contest

Entries must be sent to:
High School Essay Contest
Society of Professional Journalists
3909 N. Meridian St. Indianapolis, IN 46208

View Comments (2)
$50
$500