Scholarship Opportunity for High School Juniors

Dear Colleagues in Education:

We are appealing for your assistance because of your familiarity and past support of the Al Neuharth Free Spirit and Journalism Conference.

Please help us identify exceptional high school juniors with a passion for journalism who would be good candidates for the all-expenses-paid conference at the Newseum in Washington, D.C., June 21-26, 2014.

The conference is designed to inspire and encourage students to pursue journalism, to network with one another and to develop lifelong associations. The conference, hosted by the Newseum Institute, includes full access to the Newseum, interaction with media leaders and journalists, hands-on training, tours of Washington landmarks, plus fun and fellowship.

The Free Spirit program began in 1999 and is funded by the Freedom Forum to honor Al Neuharth, the founder of the Freedom Forum, Newseum and USA TODAY.

This will be an incredible, potentially life-changing opportunity for 51 fortunate students from across the country. We need your help in identifying them.

Eligibility is limited to students currently in their junior year (and scheduled to graduate in 2015).

For your use and easy access, go to freespirit.org to download a flier suitable for posting, print ads (in three different sizes) ready for publication in your high school newspaper or website and to find the online application. Application deadline is Feb. 1, 2014. Late applications will be accepted — but first consideration will go to those students who meet the deadline.

Sincerely,

Karen Catone
Director/Al Neuharth Free Spirit program
[email protected]
headerFS