Area 3 Writing Project

Super Saturday
January 11, 2014
9:15-11:30 am
(Registration 9:00-9:15)
***FREE***
Location: Natomas Charter School, Sacramento
Dear Trish ,

Teachers know best what works in their classrooms. Take advantage of the Area 3 Writing Project’s Super Saturdays and experience first hand high-quality professional development that you can immediately implement. Super Saturdays are free to interested teachers, resource personnel, administrators and student teachers.

Everybody Can! Informative Writing in the Primary Grades
(Grades K-2)

Learn how to playfully, purposely and painlessly get all of your students to write step-by-step instructions with motivating, real life examples.

Presenter: Lauren Hamilton, Coyote Ridge Elementary, Dry Creek JESD
Text Study: From Analysis to Creation (Grades 3-6)

Learn how to effectively use any text as the “mentor” that will inspire and guide your students to better writing. Follow one teacher’s journey rich in layered activities that more than meet Common Core State Standards. See how this specific example can be the template that you can apply to almost any type of writing you want your students to create!

Presenter: Bob Crongeyer, Taylor Street School, Robla SD
Pumped Up Persuasion: Training Students to Build Better Arguments (Grades 6-9)

Trying to get students to flex their writing muscles to build their arguments? This workshop will provide activities, strategies, and models that will get students motivated and engaged in the classroom while adding weight to their arguments. Using the Toulmin model, students will learn to substantiate their claims and really deliver the knock out punch… and end up with a product that will leave the reader thinking long after the paper is put down.

Presenter: Lisa Guardino, Marina Village Middle School, Rescue USD
It’s Arguable: What Students Need to Write Arguments in Response to Non-Fiction Text (Grades 9-12)

Participants will use a variety of prewriting strategies to read and discuss texts from both print and digital genres. These scaffolds will lead to students successfully writing an argument essay in response to non-fiction text.

Presenters: Cary Zierenberg, Natomas Charter School and Lara Hoekstra, Burbank High School, Sac City USD

In Your Own Words: A Writing Workshop For Teachers (All grades)

Please join us as we celebrate the process and craft of our own writing! While the content of this session may be modified for student and classroom use, the focus of this writing workshop for teachers is your own writing and the process of it. We will explore a variety of strategies and genres and provide time for writing as we examine the gifts of experience and inspiration, and the use of writing for reflection, clarity and celebration. Please bring paper, pen, laptop or whatever materials support your writing. Even if you have joined us for previous sessions, this workshop’s content will be different, and you’re invited to return!

Presenter: Edna Shoemaker, Norwood Jr. High, Twin Rivers USD
Rock the Blogosphere: Meeting the Common Core’s Demands with Blogs

Great for all grades! Learn how to use YouTube videos, Google Apps, and digital storytelling tools to publish student writing and promote literacy across the content areas. Discover how student commenting can promote classroom discussion at your school and around the world. Participants will leave with a created Blogger site and a toolbox of digital tools to successfully implement blogging in the classroom.

Presenter: Jennifer Kloczko, Star Academy, Natomas Charter School
Upcoming Super Saturdays Contact Information

Email: [email protected]
February 8, 2014
March 8, 2014
All participants will receive a letter documenting 2.25 hours of professional development at the end of the workshop.

You will not receive a confirmation email upon registration. We will confirm registrations in early January.

Register Here
color hand
Date: January 11, 2014

Registration: 9:00 am – 9:15 am
Workshops: 9:15 am – 11:30 am
Location: writingNatomas Charter School
4600 Blackrock Drive, Sacramento, CA 95835

From I-5, take the Del Paso Rd exit and proceed east (toward restaurants and shopping). Follow Del Paso Rd for about 2 miles. Turn left on Blackrock Dr. Natomas Charter School is on the right. Please read parking information below.

From I-80, take the Northgate Blvd. exit and proceed north. Follow Northgate for about .9 miles then turn left on Del Paso Rd. Follow Del Paso for .9 miles and turn right on Blackrock Dr. Natomas Charter School is on the right.

Parking: There are two parking areas. If the front parking lot on Blackrock is full, there is another lot off of Del Paso Rd. (If you are coming from Northgate Blvd, turn right into the lot right before Blackrock Dr. You can enter through the gate off the parking lot.) You can also access this parking lot by going around the large theater to the back parking lot. Please try NOT to park on the street as we do not want to impact neighbors’ parking. There is plenty of parking on the campus in these two lots.