Area 3 Writing Project 2013 Summer Open Institutes

Focus on the Common Core Standards

$175 for 3-day classes
$325 for 5-day class

Space is limited. Register soon.
Area 3 Writing Project
2013 Summer Open Institutes

Focus on the Common Core Standards

$175 for 3-day classes
$325 for 5-day class

Space is limited. Register soon.

For over 30 years, the Writing Project has been providing high-quality professional development for teachers, by teachers. This summer will be no exception, so check out this year’s offerings!
Rock the Workshop: 21st Century Reading and Writing in the Common Core
(Grades K-2)
June 17-19
In this workshop, you’ll be inspired with many new ideas to meet the literacy demands of the Common Core State Standards in reading, writing and digital literacy. Topics will include Writers’ and Readers’ workshop, the writer’s notebook, mini-lessons, and practical strategies to engage young readers and writers starting on the first day of school.

Facilitators: Jennifer Kloczko and Kori Ann Carey, Buckeye USD
Registration Fee: $175
Location: UC Davis, specific location will be sent before the start of the workshop
Dates & Time: June 17-19, M-W, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Optional units: 15 Hours of CEUs (Continuing Education Units) will be available from UC Davis Extension for $115.
Read*Write*Connect:
Readers’ and Writers’ Workshop
(Grades 3-6)
June 19-21
Better writers tend to be better readers, and better readers produce better writing. In Readers’ and Writers’ Workshop, students make and evaluate connections to all types of text. You’ll learn how to set up reading and writing notebooks and explore ways in which connecting reading and writing can improve students’ comprehension and writing skills. Specific mini-lessons will be shared as well as many resources.

Facilitators: Aman Dhanda and Sandy Calhoun, Woodland JUSD
Registration Fee: $175
Dates & Time: June 19-21, W-F, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Optional units: 15 Hours of CEUs (Continuing Education Units) will be available from UC Davis Extension for $115
Teaching Adolescent Writers
(Grades 6-8)
July 29-31
Focused on middle school students’ unique needs and ways of learning, this workshop will:
• Provide strategies that light an everlasting spark for both reluctant and independent writers
• Demonstrate the power and effectiveness of the Writer’s Notebook
• Support teachers with practical strategies and activities to help meet the rigorous Common Core State Standards (CCSS), including modifications for EL students
• Focus on strategies to help students in on-demand writing situations
• Offer numerous samples of informative, narrative, and argumentative essays that elucidate CCSS expectations
• Discuss effective revisions strategies
• Note the reading/writing connection underlying in the CCSS. The workshop will show that the sustained practice of reading and writing will enable students to read, comprehend, and write more independently and proficiently
• Share professional resources

Facilitators: Lisa Guardino, Rescue USD and Megan Hagelis, Twin Rivers USD
Registration Fee: $175
Dates & Time: July 29-31, M-W, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Improving Students’ Analytical Writing
(Grades 9-12)
July 29 to August 2
Using the Common Core Standards and research-based teaching practices to frame our work, teachers will:
• Learn specific strategies to strengthen students’ critical reading skills, with a focus on non-fiction text
• Explore ways to use writing to help students become better readers
• Study the characteristics of analytic writing and explore research-based approaches to teach analytic reading and writing, including informational and argumentative text types
• Understand the role of formative and summative assessments to check for students’ understanding and application of skills and concepts
• Gain a clearer understanding of how to use writing assessments AND student work to inform instruction
• Assess student work through the lens of improvement
• Examine ways to help students self-assess and revise based upon their own writing
• Identify ways to develop, scaffold, and differentiate assignments to meet the needs of all students
• Strengthen the continuity of instruction in relation to concepts and skills

Facilitators: Brooke Nicolls and other A3WP teacher consultants
Registration Fee: $350 per person (Teams of two or more from the same school are $300 each)
Location: UC Davis, specific location will be emailed before start of workshop
Dates & Time: July 29 – August 2, M-F, 9 am to 3 pm
Optional units: 30 Hours of CEUs (Continuing Education Units) will be available from UC Davis Extension for $130.

Registration

Click Here for Registration

Parking is $7 per day at UC Davis. Carpools can be set up on the first day to share parking expenses, if desired.

Cancellation policy: If you cancel at least two weeks before the start of the program, you will be refunded the registration fee less a 10% processing fee. No refunds for cancellations less than two weeks before the start of the program.

Karen Smith, Director
Area 3 Writing Project
UC Davis
(530) 752-8392
http://a3wp.ucdavis.edu/