Club Sports During a Pandemic

Many Santa Barbara club sports are currently at a standstill, but a handful of teams are able to continue practicing as long as they follow strict COVID guidelines and safety restrictions.

Carson Bohnet, Staff

When the COVID-19 lockdown started, all activities came to a halt, including Santa Barbara club sports.

Now, almost a year later, many students who are part of a club team are getting back into the swing of things and are able to practice while doing so safely.

Because of problems like the inability to practice and hold meets due to COVID restrictions, most club activities have had to make adjustments and alter their plans for upcoming seasons.

For the teams that are still running, safety measures are the top priority.

One way sophomore Jacqueline Richardson’s club soccer season has changed is the implementation of new safety precautions and rules.

“We wear masks before and after practice as well as doing our best to distance from each other, but other than that, everything has stayed almost the same,” she said.

Athletes appreciate being able to practice, and mask usage and social distancing are some of the key requirements they adhere to.

Sophomore club athlete, Kincade Avery, shared the latest protocols and safety precautions required at volleyball tournaments. “We have to wear masks when we play in tournaments, and the courts are wiped down after every game. We also have our temperatures checked every time we enter the gym,” Kincade said.

Living through a difficult time demands people to make changes that may be difficult to get used to, but are all necessary to keep people safe.

To enhance sanitation, wiping down the courts creates a better and safer environment for the athletes to play in.   

Staying in shape for club seasons while sports are shut down has been a tricky issue to navigate.

A problem like this requires student-athletes to find ways to exercise on their own at home instead of working out with their teams.

Being fortunate enough to be able to have a club team running helps athletes get exercise and work together with their teams.

“I think it is a blessing to be currently able to play volleyball with my team at this time, and we are fortunate enough to be able to continue,” sophomore Thomas Couvillion said.

It is a gift to be able to practice with your club teams right now, allowing players to not fall out of the swing of things, and stay in shape.

Frances Carlson

Kincade Avery ‘23

“We have to wear masks when we play in tournaments, and the courts are wiped down after every game. We also have our temperatures checked every time we enter the gym.”

Frances Carlson

Thomas Couvillion ‘23

“I think it is a blessing to be currently able to play volleyball with my team at this time, and we are fortunate enough to be able to continue.”

Jacqueline Richardson ‘23

Frances Carlson

“We wear masks before and after practice as well as doing our best to distance from each other, but other than that, everything has stayed almost the same.”