UPPER SCHOOL ENGINEERING CLASS WHEELS OUT INAUGURAL SOAPBOX DERBY

WEDNESDAY, MAY 29

9:30-11:30AM
Laguna Blanca School
4125 Paloma Drive, Hope Ranch Campus

Please join us at Laguna’s Hope Ranch campus for this first-time exciting and educational Soapbox Derby, which is being spearheaded by Laguna’s Upper School engineering class—all of whom will be racing in their own engineered soapboxes. In addition, the derby is open to all Laguna students in Grades 9-12 and all Laguna faculty and staff.

Students and faculty are using donated materials to build their soapbox cars—which will be powered only by gravity. In an effort to keep materials out of the landfills, all soapbox parts must be scavenged. Families have been donating used items—particularly wheels, lumber scraps, and pipe to the school’s STEM lab.

The race will take place on Paloma Drive in Hope Ranch (directly in front of the school). Paloma Drive will be closed to traffic on May 29 from 9AM-12PM.

Participants have up until May 22 to register with STEM Instructor and creator of the derby John Pagano. Parents are invited to cheer on the participants and students are encouraged to attend during free periods or community time.

Special note: Paloma Drive will be closed to traffic on Wednesday, May 29 from 9AM-12PM, therefore no special lunch deliveries will be accepted on Wednesday.

LBS Soapbox Derby

MAY 29, 2019

Deadline to sign up: May 22, 2019

Derby Car/Team Rules:

1. DOT or SWELL certified helmet is required (We have 2 helmets. Make sure it fits before race day or you won’t race. Or if you don’t want to share a helmet bring your own DOT/SWELL certified helmet. Eww, lice!
  2. Safety pads must be worn by the driver. We will have two sets, but you are welcome to bring your own to speed up race set up. Pads must include knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards, plus anything else you want to protect.
  3. Teams may consist of multiple members, but every member must take a chance driving their racer.
  4. No Pokey Things: You may NOT have sharp objects on your car that could act as a spear, spike, hook, blade or related.
  5. No Ben Hur spikes, saw blades, swords, sharpened stakes of any rigid material or items such as animal antlers which could harm spectators, racers, or yourself in a crash, or someone walking by your car in the pits. (Any sheet metal edges must be folded over (hemmed) so sharp edges are not exposed.)
  6. No James Bond crap. Smoke screens, oil slicks, nets, arrows, silly string, water balloons, water guns, or anything else intended to distract the other drivers is NOT permitted. Ejector seats are especially prohibited.
  7. No Mad Max nonsense. If you intentionally run your opponent off the road, you will be disqualified. No hanging a prisoner off a large pole attached to your racer.
  8. Your car must have at least three (3) wheels in contact with the track at all times.
  9. Your car must be powered only by gravity: No kinetics, no wind, and no propulsion or any other means of acceleration will be accepted.
  10. Cars must fit into an 8’ x 8’ x 8’ cube.
  11. Driver must be in a seated position. No superman. No luge. No standing or kneeling.
  12. Your car must have a large eyebolt attached securely to the front and rear of the car. Up to 3 cars are tethered together for the tow back route
  13. Audible horns or bells are suggested. They must be loud enough for to be heard by spectators around blind corners.
  14. Luges or skateboards do not qualify as a derby car ie: No skateboard wheels or caster wheels will be accepted. Any use of Caster or Skateboard/Luge Board wheels will “Get you the AX!”ie. You will NOT participate.
  15. No death-traps. Your car will be inspected by our Pit Boss crew and held to a “Workmanlike”standard. You must demonstrate that your brakes stop your car. Any car that appears unsafe or in violation of our rules will be disqualified from racing without refund. Judge’s decision is final.
  16. Cars should carry one and only one person.
  17. From the Starting grid to the Finish Line your driver MAY NOT hold a cell phone or any other device. i.e. phone, i-pad, walkie-talkie, cans with a string, mp3 player or camera (video or still). You have one job! Make it to the bottom and finish the race safely. If you want to film your race, get a GoPro or make a cell-phone holder. Races will not be paused if you drop your beloved device.
  18. The driver’s legs, arms or any part of their body must be within the car’s front, side and rear dimensions at all times.
  19. Each team gets a 10ft push at the start by one designated pusher. If your designated pusher steps over the start line, you will be disqualified from entering your time for that heat.
  20. ALL parts must be scavenged. YES…all of them. Not only are we making Gravity Racers, but we are re-using, re-purposing, and recycling as much as we can. I will provide screws, nails, and other hardware, but all frames, wheels, and aesthetics must have been saved from hitting the landfill.
  21. You may clean out your garage and “scavenge” parts from there. You will be required to get a note from your parent testifying to the fact that you earned the parts by putting enough work in to cleaning out the garage. You may NOT show up with an “old go-cart from your pop’s glory days” and expect to use it. Old wood. Old bikes. Other wheels. Steel parts. If you aren’t sure, ask.
  22. If you find the holy grail of trash picking, take photos of it sitting in the trash before you scavenge as proof. DO NOT BREAK ANY LAWS in your scavenging. I am nervous about sending you all on Craigslist for Free Items, so if you do so please bring a friend so the CL Killer doesn’t get you. Take a screenshot of the listing as proof, too.
  23. Your Racer must have functional STEERING. This will be tested.
  24. You must have a functional BRAKE. No Fred Flintstone brakes. This will be tested.
  25. Awards will be given to themes, aesthetics, and novelty aspects of your car. Make it fun.

The short version:

• Helmet and pads required.
  • Brakes required.
  • Steering required.
  • No death traps.
  • Only scavenged materials.
  • Gravity power only. No motors, no pedals, no feet pushing.
  • All other rules have been read and will be followed.
  • Waiver must be turned in to race. No waiver, no racer.

Race course will be open for testing after 8:30am on 5/29. Race begins at 9:30. Course is approximately .21 miles long with a 20’ change in altitude. There are curves.

ACCIDENT WAIVER and RELEASE OF LIABILITY FORM 2019 LBS SOAPBOX DERBY

I,______________________________________________________ (Name) HEREBY ASSUME ALL OF THE RISKS OF PARTICIPATING AND/OR VOLUNTEERING IN LBS SOAPBOX DERBY(“Derby”), including but not limited to, any risks that may arise from negligence or carelessness on the part of organizers, sponsors, volunteers, participants, or spectators of the Derby.

I __________________ (Initial) have read and understand the racer rules in its entirety. I certify that I am an expert, physically fit, have sufficiently prepared for participation in the Derby, and that there are no health-­‐related reasons or problems, which preclude my participation in this activity or event.  

I certify that I am at least 18 years of age as of the date signed below or have gotten written permission from my legal guardian, and that I have been informed of the rules for participation in the Derby, and agree to abide them, as well as any additional rules hereafter duly made.

I acknowledge that the Derby is INHERENTLY VERY DANGEROUS, may involve a test of a person’s physical and mental limits, and may carry with it the potential for death, serious injury, and property loss. The risks include, but are not limited to, those caused by terrain, facilities, temperature, weather, lack of hydration, condition of participants, equipment, vehicular traffic, and actions of other people (including, but not limited to: Derby organizers, officials, and monitors, participants, volunteers, and spectators). These risks are not only inherent to participants, but are also present for volunteers.

In consideration of my application and permitting me to participate in the Derby, I hereby take action for myself, my executors, personal representatives, administrators, heirs, next of kin, successors, and assigns as follows:

1. I WAIVE, RELEASE, AND DISCHARGE from any and all liability, including but not limited to, liability arising from the negligence or fault of the entities or persons released and described below in paragraph (C), for my death, disability, personal injury, property damage, property theft, or actions of any kind which may occur to me as a result of or related to my participation in the Derby.
  2. I INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND PROMISE NOT TO SUE the entities or persons mentioned in paragraph (C) from any and all liabilities or claims made as a result of participation in this activity or event, whether caused by negligence or otherwise.
  3. RELEASED AND INDEMNIFIED ENTITIES OR PERSONS: i) LBS SoapBox Derby and/or its members, directors, officers, employees, representatives, and agents; and ii) the Derby organizers, officials, and monitors, participants, volunteers, and spectators.

I understand that at the Derby I may be photographed. I agree to allow my concept sketch, photo, video, or film likeness to be used for any legitimate purpose by the Derby holders, Laguna Blanca School,  producers, sponsors, organizers, and assigns.

This Accident Waiver and Release of Liability Form shall be construed broadly to provide a release and waiver to the maximum extent permissible under applicable law.

I CERTIFY THAT I HAVE READ THIS DOCUMENT IN ITS ENTIRETY. I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND A CONTRACT AND I FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENT AND TERMS, AND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY SIGNING IT. I INTEND MY SIGNATURE TO BE A COMPLETE AND UNCONDITIONAL RELEASE OF ALL LIABILITY TO THE GREATEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW. I SIGN THIS OF MY OWN FREE WILL.

________________________________    ___/___/____        _______________________
Printed Name                    Date            Signature

Guardian Printed Name (if under 18)        Date            Guardian Signature